My guess is that the left wing was just a bit lower when it touched down (or immediately after), causing the left engine to bite the water first (before the right one anyway) and take the harder hit. That probably would have started the plane turning to the left and it might have slowed enough at that point that the added drag of the engine on the right was not a factor (especially of the left engine didn't fall off completely on the initial impact).

The engines probably presented the most serious drag. The plane probably would have skipped like a stone if not for them. That said it is amazing how quickly a seaplane slows down once it hits the water even though it is designed to be sleek (try towing a canoe behind a motorboat as an example).

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:11 AM

The starboard engine survived in place (although partly shredded) - it was the port engine which was sheared off.   That being the case, I am a little confused as to why the plane should have, upon slowing in the water, taken a hard left - I would have thought the starboard engine, in place, would have swung the jet around the other way, to starboard.

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html -- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html