Haruna.

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:58:51 +0000From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Corporate citizenship or just part of doing business?To: [log in to unmask]

Bailo,

“If I may.”

Certainly you may, your points of view will be enriching.

 “The notion of "development partnership" between Government and private citizens (including for-profit organizations) has been in my opinion, grossly misinterpreted.” (Abdoulie)

I agree. The potential for misinterpretation may arise in most circumstances.

 “I see you're falling in the same trap of a flawed concept.”

Can’t you see it’s Haruna who has already fallen into the “trap of a flawed concept”. I bet you will help me from falling into it too.

 “When it comes to being a corporate citizen, there is no more partnership in development than being able to make a decent profit, expand your business and hire more employees; pay taxes and inprove the welfare of society at-large. This is the inherent partnership any for-profit organization has with the government and the people. It does not have to interpreted any other way.” (Abdoulie)

I doubt if the right concept could be more succinctly stated as you did above. I completely agree.

“When he wants sponsorship for his Galla Dinners, he calls for "development partnership" and specifically warn those who do not "donate." (Abdoulie)

As far as I am concern, threats in order to acquire donations are not only unacceptable but also crude, uncivlised behavior and a sign of tyranny and to have come from the President makes it even more reprehensible.

“ Businesses can always expouse philanthrophy but not by making it a necessity for survival.” (Abdoulie)

That’s it. You have shattered the bone.

I will now share with you a story:

Sometime in June this year, an international Accounting, Auditing & Consulting firm, one of the big four in the world which has a presence in the Gambia donated some goodies to the Campama Psychiatric hospital a State-operated facility in the Gambia with no ulterior motive of seeking unfair advantage over their competitors and with no strings whatsoever attached. Unfortunately according to Haruna’s twisted reasoning, that donation equals to encouraging corruption and bribery of the Government. I consider that Senator McCain's reasoning.

You mentioned about a trap, I will share with you my perspective about a trap which a minority of mostly well-intentioned Gambians have unwittingly been drawn into. The current political dispensation promotes the fallacy of Yahya Jammeh being synonymous with the Gambian Government. Now instead of the Government of the Gambia sponsoring projects A, B or C, it is Yahya Jammeh that is announced to have done so. Don’t we Gambians know that Yahya Jammeh is filthy rich only because of the Gambian Presidency? Yes. Wasn’t he a pauper before that? Yes. So therefore if Yahya Jammeh is said to have sponsored for instance our national football team, the Scorpions, does it therefore mean that Gambians who are diametrically and justifiably opposed to the regime should not support our national football team, the Scorpions?  Does it also mean that Africell GSM operator and other private businesses that are sponsoring our national football team are by implication guilty of corruption and in cahoots with the APRC government? No and a big NO. By all measures, the Gambian State is far bigger and richer than the Gambian Government and the President. The interests of the Gambian masses must come first. Hence Gambians and others should encourage anyone who could honestly make a positive difference to the quality of life of Gambians to do so regardless of the deplorable human rights violations of the APRC Government.

The benefits of recognition and prestige that would inevitably come from genuine philanthropic acts cannot be denied to the selfless individuals or their organizations giving or sharing their endowments with others.

Thanks for your perspective.

Best wishes,

Bailo