From: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:19 AM

	In a message dated 9/11/2008 9:59:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

		BTW, we are not taking this storm lightly.

	I would hope not. Like sailing and the water, you don't really
understand the frightening power of the wind until you're at the "Uh-oh"
point, or have been there.

Raleigh, NC --> Atlantic Ocean: 132 miles.

Hurricane Fran: September 6, 1996.

September 7-15, 1996: In an "all hands on deck" environment, City of
Raleigh office workers with chain saws work 12-hour shifts in 95+ degree
weather to help clear rights-of-way and convert storm debris to 4-foot
lengths so equipment can remove it for disposal.

September 1996 - May 1998: Two massive drum grinders running 24/7 reduce
pile of storm debris to shredded mulch.

Yep, been there. Agree wholeheartedly. Big power.

Batten down the hatches! Widgen down the finjabbits!

Jim, good luck to you, family, friends, and fellow citizens. Here's
hoping Ike peters out quick-like. Be safe.

Dan
Dan Becker, Division Manager
City & Regional Planning Division
Raleigh Department of City Planning
919/516-2632

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina  Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”