Do people not use place-markers because no one has trained  them in how to do
them? That would be my first speculation based on my personal  experience
with formal JAWS training, Offhand, they sound extremely useful and  they are
certainly on my list of gee it would be good to look up more about.  That is not
at all a lack of interest, but the training / support/  evangelization angle
is another aspect of competition in a very rapidly changing  technical
environment.

Further speculation informed only by casual attention to  software
intellectual property issues: I would think place markers on webpages  would be a very
important competitive area just because of the proliferation of  dynamically
updated webpages. If one can make a location and go back there, one  does not
have to reread the whole page if only a small area is  updated.

I tend to agree that patent infringement suits in the software  realm are
sometimes just an effort to extort license fees. I have also lived a  little too
long in the land of Microsoft, land of buy low, sell high, to  automatically
be sympathetic to patent infringement claims.

However, I also definitely want time to work with Window Eyes  because it is
supposed to be far superior to JAWS about switching between  different
languages.

Best

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA

In a message dated 7/25/2008 10:04:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,