Hi Mike,
You have three options for updating Avast
Right click on the blue Avast (a) icon in the lower right tray.
Select "Program settings"
Then select "Update (Basic)". Your choices are:
1 Automatic
2 Ask when updates available
3 Manual
Make a choice for data updates & and for program updates.
Next select "Update (Connection)"
and tell it what type of internet connection you use.

I have a fairly fast cable connection so I allow Avast to update itself automatically. It updates frequently and quickly, and has never caused a problem for me. If you have a slow telephone connection, it may be better to update manually, at a time of your convenience.

The update options are the only ones I've changed.

If you don't disable it, Avast will provide some real-time protection. In addition, you can initiate scans for existing problems as often as you feel necessary.

>From: "Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCSOFT] AVAST Anti-virus Program and Windows XP update
>
>I would like some advice for using the Free AVAST Anti-virus program. I have
>always used AVG Free Anti-virus program and do not quite understand on how
>to use AVAST. AVG seemed on the most part, to update and scan itself at
>least once a day. AVAST confuses me. I am not very computer wise. I think I
>need a basic step-by-step lesson in using AVAST. I am hoping someone can
>help me.
>
>I changed to AVAST basically because I have read several times that is a
>good program plus the fact that the updated AVG version will not scan e-mail
>after thirty days.
>
>I use Windows XP, have all the updates -- except for Service Pack 3. I run
>three or more antispyware programs and Windows Defender, Ccleaner, and
>really try to maintain my computer the best that I can. I must add allof
>these are not purchased but are free programs.
>
>I would like to know how I should maintain my computer using AVAST. Do I
>have to update it and scan it manually on a daily basis? I want to be safe.
>I would rather be over safe than not.
>
>If I have any computer problems I am basically on my own and not quite sure
>of handling any computer issues when they happen. So far, I have been lucky
>since I haven't had anything I could not handle.I am learning, slowly but
>surely. I must add that I have learned a lot reading this list when time
>allows me.
>
>Also, I have read that there are problems with the Windows Service Pack 3
>update. I am very nervous about running it. Do I really need to run it being
>I keep Windows XP updated?
>
>Any advice on these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>