In a message dated 3/16/2008 9:41:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Complaint history on DOB page - http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/ComplaintsByAddressServlet?requestid=1&allbin=1039675. Caller  complaints lack of permits, lack of listed permit, work after hours  – 99% unsubstantiated claims and when the important call came seems to me like no one took it seriously anymore. I just wonder how many times you can call DOB, DOT just to keep busy police and DOB squads, knowing that the work will be continued anyway because serious money are involved and city is eager to start its collections. The inspectors instead to do their job, which is public safety are just run around to be a nuisance in service of unfulfilled neighbors.

The crane fall sequence from NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/03/15/nyregion/20080315_CRANE_GRAPHIC.html#step1

It's not just neighbors pissed off because some asshole started work at 7:55 (or 6:00) AM instead of at 8 AM.   If this was a non-union job, the union guys would be calling in to break the owner's (and scabs' bosses) balls.  Whether or not it was union, if some guy (or subcontractor) got thrown off the job (legitimately or otherwise), he'd have an axe to grind, too.  Then there are the former tenants of the former building on the site, who are pissed off that they lost their $100 a month apartments that they lived in for 50 years (when they weren't at their houses in the Hamptons), and want to get back at their greedy former landlord, so THEY complain to the DOB.

I am more inclined to think the owners are the ones who see their serious money at stake --and rush the job-- and less inclined to think some building inspector is looking to make sure the City starts collecting taxes at the first possible moment.

In any case, there are always plenty of people pissing in the soup, and plenty of things to go wrong.

Maybe I'll go read the story in the paper now.

Ralph

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html