Out here in the corn fields we calm ‘em cupolas.

Barney

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] Another legit question

What's the proper term for the little doghouse-like louvered ventilator that sits on the ridge of a barn, stable, or similar building?

My first inclination was to call it a belvedere, but the dictionary suggests those are for looking out of; a lantern in that location would be intended to allow light into the building; and a cupola (or turret) has circular connotations that don't fit this rectilinear device. A monitor is a glazed saw-toothed roof, so that doesn't work.

The SMACNA manual calls similar thingies "louvered penthouses," but penthouse doesn't seem right, either.

Who's got the illustrated architectural dictionary written by some the famous FAIA type whose name I can't remember, which I didn't buy because 1)  I didn't think he would know anything about history and 2) I was too cheap.

thanks.

Ralph

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html -- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html