The best place to see painted 19th cent exterior  stucco is the deep South ; however I just left a 1870 brownstone in Manhattan whose entire stairway was faux stone stucco with the joints and the tooling marks to mimic the stone....
faux stone stucco was meant to be painted ; and in graveyards where it is common it was usaully white washed with or without pigment thrown in .....

there are many many examples of concrete that were meant to mimic stone ;and I must say it wasn't until we understood the problems asscoited with paint and masonry that mixes and stains have been created to protect and serve the apperance of the concrete .
Interior you can use one kind  of lime paint and exterior its better to use another called a mineral coating  ;
the key is breathablity ; and eliminating a mechanical or surface  bond
.and of course  there are no salts present
The washes are fairly easy to make if its do it yourself ..however for profeshional  finish  you may want to contact Mike Edison (on this site ) ; or Kiem ;or Virgina Lime works
or better yet go to IPTW in Fredrick MD this week  Fi and Sat....and learn all about it   Py

See what's new at http://www.aol.com -- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html