Take advantage of the special free Barrier-free E-learning Handbook that
comes as a bonus for everyone who takes this course in November.  Two
significant resources  in one package.

The handbook is a detailed and compact treatment of distance learning today
with a special emphasis on making the courses accessible.  It reflects my
20 years of distance learning experience and reflects changes in the Web,
in operating systems, in adaptive hardware and software and in courseware
management systems.  It is a $24.95 value and will shortly be available for
purchase.  You can read the 2-page table of contents online at:
http://easi.cc/download/elearning-toc.htm

The course syllabus and registration are at:
http://easi.cc/workshops/bfel.htm

The course itself has 10 lessons spread over a month.  Because of the long
Thanksgiving week end, it will last for a few extra days.  The 10
lessons in the course are:

Lesson 1: Introduction to E-learning Systems

This lesson will discuss the different types of e-learning or online
learning systems, and will also describe the types of disabilities that are
relevant
for e-learning which essentially refers to people with what used to be
called "print disabilities". There will be a discussion of the ways in
which e-learning
systems provide both advantages and disadvantages for this population. The
lesson will demonstrate how actual accessibility is made up of 3 components:
an accessible courseware system, robust adaptive technologies that interact
effectively with that courseware and an end user that has skill in using that
adaptive software and has experience with the Web.

Lesson 2: What is Accessibility and is That Enough?

The major thrust of this lesson is to explain that making a Web site meet
the Section 508 Standards or the WAI Guidelines may not be enough to permit a
student to learn effectively online. A site may meet technical
accessibility standards and still be confusing for a user to understand and
difficult to
navigate. While this is true for everyone, it is particularly true for
users with disabilities. The lesson will also look specifically at
Blackboard, WebCT,
eCollege and Horizon Wimba and what they say about their accessibility.

Week 2:
Lesson 3: Tips for Faculty and Content Providers

This lesson will argue that good design and clear communication is half of
achieving accessibility for people with disabilities. Good teaching improves
learning for everyone. Course content posted inside courseware by faculty
will normally only relates to 3-5 accessibility issues instead of the 16
Section
508 Standards, and we will focus exclusively on this limited set of
accessibility features. The lesson will include ten tips for effective
e-learning developed
over the years by Coombs.

Lesson 4: Creating Content Using Microsoft Word

This lesson will explain how using styles in Word helps make documents that
are consistent, that can export with the format to other file types, are more
accessible for users of adaptive technology and which permit the author to
make modifications quickly and easily. When the author takes 3-5 accessibility
features into account, the end result will produce accessible content for
use in the courseware system. It will also describe recent technical
breakthroughs
permitting the display of math and scientific information that can now be
accessible to users who are blind.

Lesson 5: PowerPoint and Accessibility

First, the lesson will discuss general content and slide design tips for
accessibility. Some screen reading software will not function in PowerPoint in
which case the author may need to save the content in another format. It
will explain how to extract content from PowerPoint and save it either as a
Word
document or as rich test format both of which would be accessible to anyone
with any adaptive technology. When saving for the Web content providers will
need the Illinois Microsoft Office Accessibility Wizard to guarantee a
totally accessible result. The lesson will also explore different ways to
save narrated
PowerPoint for the Web in an accessible format.

Week 3:

Lesson 6: Creating Accessible PDF Documents

Simple PDF documents can be produced using Microsoft Word provided the
document is simple and provided that the author is using styles in Word.
Scanning
hard copy into PDF can have the output sent to Word which, again if the
structure is simple, can create accessible output. More complex PDF
documents or
repairing inaccessible documents will require someone learning the basics
of Acrobat.

Lesson 7: Authoring With Dreamweaver and Creating Multimedia

For those faculty members who do create some Web content, we recommend
their using Dreamweaver which includes special accessibility features. We
will only
discuss the most basic access items:

images, tables,
forms
and other items students' request.

We will not discuss multimedia creation itself. Instead, we will assume the
multimedia content author is familiar with its creation. We will discuss how
and when to include audio descriptions of video for users who are blind and
text transcriptions of conversation for users who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
Captioning can be very time-consuming and arduous, and, for that reason, we
will point some simple solutions although they may not always synchronize voice
and text too well.

Lesson 8: Checking for Accessibility

The genuine test of the accessibility of Web content is to have a number of
users with different disabilities and different adaptive technologies to
examine
the content manually and report back. However, there are several software
packages which can be considerable help to content authors wanting to check
their
content themselves. There are 2 packages on the web: Cynthia Says and
Watchfire WebXACT. High Software also produces a commercial package,
called, Act
Verify, and there are also browser extensions for both Internet Explorer
and FireFox. This lesson will introduce these tools and provide the
know-how that
is needed to use them.

Week 4:
Lesson 9: Beyond Online Delivery

Currently, Complex graphs, drawings and other complex images like maps
cannot be made accessible online. The graphic can have a text label
identifying,
but if it is important course content and is too complex to be rendered in
a clear, verbal description, the content will have to be provided in some other
way. Usually, this will require creating raised-line, hard copy tactile
graphics accompanied with Braille. This will require special formatting to
compensate
for resolution issues and will require an appropriate embosser to output
both raised lines and Braille. This also has to be created enough in advance to
be delivered to the student before it is presented online.

Lesson 10: Planning and Policy

The Office for Civil Rights has said that providing support for students
with disabilities is a campus-wide responsibility. There needs to be a planning
body which includes half a dozen or more departments and which receives
support from the higher levels of the institution. The courts say there
needs to
be a plan in place to cover all aspects of accessibility which does not
rely on ad hoc solutions. We will discuss what departments need to be involved
and which topics it needs to consider.

Final Test
There will be a final pass/fail, multiple choice tests. It will help us
know that our lessons do present the basics clearly and help our
participants know
they have grasped at least the major basics. The test can be retaken.

Syllabus and registration are at:
http://easi.cc/workshops/bfel.htm

----------          ----------          --------
EASI Events for November
Webinar 4-part Series Taming PowerPoint and Designing for Accessibility On
and Off the Web
Read more and register at easi.cc/clinic.htm
Month-long Online Course Barrier-free E-learning
Read more and register at http//easi.cc/workshop.htm

Norman Coombs
CEO EASI (www.easi.cc)
(949) 855-4852 Pacific time zone)

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<