From: The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Brian Robinson
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] Working on artillery accuracy question

Ralph,

I am working on getting you an answer about the accuracy of Civil War rifled cannon. I consulted a recently de-commissioned artillery officer friend of mine for advice. Here is his take on the issue...

"You are testing the limits of my memory on the artillery question. My short answer is that given a fixed/surveyed point and measuring your angle and distance from that point you become what we in the artillery call “laid” which increases the accuracy when firing upon a target, especially a fixed fortification. I will dig through my archives for my platoon leader’s handbook to give you a more detailed answer. This is definitely the old way. Now your location is determined by gps in most cases but they do still train fixed reference point “laying” for when the computers go down. You can actually use the sun as a common reference to transfer the fixedness of a surveyed point to a non-surveyed point in what is known as a “simo”, I think. I just remember the the “tip, tip, tip” part of that particular drill."

I will continue to dig and see what I can uncover what "significantly increased accuracy" means. I will keep you posted.

Brian

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html