We spanked our kids up until the age of 8ish and now find that it is rarely needed anymore. Just the sound of pulling the old belt through the loops and giving it a loud snap gets the troops moving in a big way when needed.  With our hellions, restraint is the key as well as establishing clear boundaries.  I don't believe in the "Great Santini" school of parenting but I also don't buy the "This hurts me more than it does you", BS either. The heavy discipline has been delegated to me in our house. I find that ocassionally lowering the boom makes a big impression that is not soon forgotten and establishes the peace.

There is a bible verse that folks often only half quote..."He that spareth his rod hateth his son...". The important part is the second half, ..."but he that loveth him chasteneth him diligently." Proverbs 13:24

Correcting poor behavior is a full time gig that has to be done constantly. Luckily my kids have been great so far. One day soon they will probably be able to whip my ass. The torch is passed.

Brian

Brian Scott Robinson, MHP
Professor
Savannah College of Art and Design
School of Building Arts
Historic Preservation Department
P.O. Box 3146
Savannah, GA 31402

912 525 6940 office (Tues/Thurs)
912 262 2650 home (students emergency only)

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html