Ken,

Well said.

I guess what kills me is not a general lack of knowledge. People can look a forgotten factoid up in a book (How would I survive without spellcheck?). What skewers me are folks with a total lack of intellectual curiosity. A person does not have to be brilliant or well educated to be curious about the world around them and the way things work. Read a paper once a week for goodness sakes.  I think that a general lack of understanding, comprehension, and interest in the world around us is what has created so many problems for our country in our overseas relationships.

Most folks don't seem to care about being citizens of the planet. By divine providence we are Americans, and that is enough. Why learn things relating to art, literature, architecture, and music if it does not put a dollar in my pocket at the end of the day? Complete waste of time and energy.

Another thought roaming in my head... If you firmly and fundamentally believe that God has communicated to you personally that you are righteous and right in your approach to living then the need/obligation to explore other options is negated. End discussion. Anything in conflict with your constructed reality is against the will of God. Hard to discuss compromise and accommodation with these types especially when they are on both sides of the divide.