From: Edison Coatings <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, April 7, 2007 6:25 pm
Subject: Re: [BP] White wash 2
To: [log in to unmask]

> Brian,
>
> We should not underestimate the knowledge of Geology that
> existed in the 19th Century. Gillmore's book, detailing work
> before the Civil War, records his comments on mining operations
> from personal observations of all the major cement producers. He
> also provides recommended procedures for sampling and testing
> cement, taking random samples from various lots. I don't know
> what year the Watertown Arsenal started testing cement, but at
> some point there was testing performed and published annually.
>
> As to consistency, there were also detailed chemical analyses
> published for every cement producer. Cummings also enlightens us
> to the effect that anything negative anyone had written about
> cement consistency was invariably recycled European information,
> where the geological deposits are very different from those in
> North America, and tended to be more inconsistent. He tells us
> that while American cements had characteristics that varied from
> one producer to another, these were well-known and very
> consistent within each source. Cement specifications for
> fineness, set time, soundness and tensile strength were used by
> the Corps of Engineers, further developed in the 1870's by ASCE,
> and eventually formed the basis for the ASTM Standards.
> Municipalities, canal authorities, water authorities, railroads
> and other major cement users all had published cement
> specifications. So all this was not some haphazard, back-
> woods "Clem's backyard barbeque, whiskey still and lime kiln".
> The lime industry, by comparison, seems to have almost no
> organization or data for the 19th Century.
>
> The geological deposits currently being mined in Rosendale
> stretch more than sixty miles to Kingston, NY, and are extremely
> consistent. The same deposit has been mined since 1828. The
> Corps of Engineers specifically favored cement from Rosendale,
> NY, though natural cement was produced in at least 17 states
> including Georgia.
>
> As for local masons, I don't think that's where the testing
> would occur. The material was used on projects specified by
> engineers, and I believe Quality Control would have been handled
> between the engineer and the producer.
>
> As for choices of materials, there were certainly periods of
> overlapping, competing technologies. We know about hundreds, if
> not thousands of major buildings and structures which have been
> documented as to the materials used, but there are undoubtedly
> many times more that are not documented. Which goes back to my
> original point - you have to get a competent and honest analysis
> and let the forensic record speak for itself.
>
> Mike E
> >
> > So I assume that to make these materials the manufacturers
> would have to have a very specific understanding of the type of
> raw material needed, where to access it and and an
> indepth knowledge of the performance of each final material with
> [...]

Brian Scott Robinson, MHP
Professor
Savannah College of Art and Design
School of Building Arts
Historic Preservation Department
P.O. Box 3146
Savannah, GA 31402

912 525 6940 office (Tues/Thurs)
912 262 2650 home (students emergency only)

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html