From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:05 pm
Subject: Re: [BP] Paved with good intintions....
To: [log in to unmask]

> In a message dated 4/15/2007 10:27:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight
> Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Mike,  Here's a question I have not thought of in over
> 35  yrs.  Why
> were/are green cement blocks more expensive?  Way
> back  when I was married
> to a different fella we built a house using split face
> cement blocks.  I
> orginally wanted green but they wanted ten cents a  block
> more for green,
> all other colors were one price. The  green pigment musta
> cost more, or they
> didn't sell enough green block to  make stocking it
> worthwhile.  Back when I
> used to do stained glass work,  I was told red glass cost
> more than other
> colors because it had  gold in it.  We used brown
> instead. Smart  move.  Otherwise
> you'da been living in  a booger-green, split face
> block house, and who wants
> that?
>
> We used brown mortar, it was  brown all the way through,
> why mix up 2
> batches just to make the inside and  outside 2 different
> colors.  Don't know
> whether it was natural or  unnatural cement but the house
> is still standing.
> Is the ex still  standing?  Or was he more of the
> lying type?
> I handled  every block in that house at least twice and
> some more than
> that.And  people wonder why labor costs are high!
> Ruth   Ralph

> http://www.aol.com.
> --
> <http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html>

Brian Scott Robinson, MHP
Professor
Savannah College of Art and Design
School of Building Arts
Historic Preservation Department
P.O. Box 3146
Savannah, GA 31402

912 525 6940 office (Tues/Thurs)
912 262 2650 home (students emergency only)

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html