The brick arches a little bit here but you need to install shoring ASAP. In
other words as you do the removals. In addition, we are usually working on
old buildings that have a variety of masonry conditions (poor) that are not
being repaired to "as new" condition. Ironically I have had discussions with
architects that suggest, "Hey, the steel lintel is bowed way down and is not
supporting the brick, then we take out the lintel and the brick does not
move so why put in a new lintel that is only going to rust again?" Scary but
true! Take a look at the brick coursing on a typical running bond and then
on a real "flat arch". If you bring some physics into it, you will notice
that on a flat arch the lower portion of the arch is somewhat in tension
(not working) and the upper portion is in compression (working) then look at
the height of the head joint in a running bond brick wall and you will see
there ain't enough of the brick in compression to really work. It is often
luck that these things don't unravel more often.

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA
Vice President
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue