From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: Tmbrframe
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:32:15 EDT
Subject: Re: [BP] Concrete Epoxy Repair
To: [log in to unmask]

-------------------------------1152624735

To All CONCRETE Repair Experts,

In an attempt to address interspersed thoughts and questions.  The  slab in
question is about 8 months old.  The control joints have not been  cut at all
yet.  Neither the slab nor the non-existent joints have been  sealed.  There is
still not any perimeter drainage in place.  The slab  is 6" thick with approx
4" below grade.  There is heavy gauge 6"  reinforcing mat set on cinder block
bricks with radiant heating pipes tied to  it.  The pipes are pex-al-pex
meaning plastic extruded over aluminum inside  and out.  The concrete is poured
over Barrier brand insulation  which is high density eps foam with poly on
either side and is, in theory, a  vapor barrier.  There is no indication of water
infiltration in the  concrete.  No wet spots at crack or anywhere else.  I
intend to cut  control joints between the piers on which the building trusses sit.
 They  are located on 12' centers in a 48' structure.  Also intend to cut
control  joints longitudinally to divide slab into 3 section across the 30'
width.  These joints all connect piers for structural posts which are  isolated
from the slab by the same insulation, but cause the slab to have nasty  inside
corners cast into it.  The single crack goes from one post at  the mid point of
the building length to the corresponding post pier on  the other side.  It
winds several feet off course in the middle of the  floor.  The crack is about
1.5 mm on the one end and narrows to a  closed but visible crack in about 6
feet.  It showed up all at once the day  after turning some heavy timbers which
were on stickers on the floor.  I  could feel the vibration from the timbers
slamming about 100' away in  the separate office building.  There is a set of
pipes and conduit  coming in under the slab right next to the post at the wide
end of the crack  which may have provided a route for water under the slab.
The shop is used  fro timber work ad the principal contaminate is sawdust  I
think the  crack is pretty clean so far, but I would like to do what I can to
stabilize it ASAP.  My concern is fro the well being of the pipes , as they
cannot take heaving and cycling if they are not sleeved.  The crack in the  slab
itself is of little or no concern as my work will not abuse the concrete in
general as long as I get the drainage issue addressed.  Even a full load of
timbers would only be 20 to 30 tons spread over most of the floor.  Again,  I
feel that I can probably drill holes as deep as 1'" to 1 1/2" relatively  safely
if that is necessary.  I hope that addresses all of the major  variables.

Thanks,

David J. Dauerty
To The Line Timber  Frames

--

-------------------------------1152624735

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>To All CONCRETE Repair Experts,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In an attempt to address interspersed thoughts and questions.&nbsp; The=
=20
slab in question is about 8 months old.&nbsp; The control joints have not be=
en=20
cut at all yet.&nbsp; Neither the slab nor the non-existent joints have been=
=20
sealed.&nbsp; There is still not any perimeter drainage in place.&nbsp; The=20=
slab=20
is 6" thick with approx 4" below grade.&nbsp; There is heavy gauge 6"=20
reinforcing mat set on cinder block bricks with radiant heating pipes tied t=
o=20
it.&nbsp; The pipes are pex-al-pex meaning plastic extruded over aluminum in=
side=20
and out.&nbsp;&nbsp;The concrete&nbsp;is poured over Barrier brand insulatio=
n=20
which is high density eps foam with poly on either side and is, in theory, a=
=20
vapor barrier.&nbsp; There is no indication of water infiltration in the=20
concrete.&nbsp; No wet spots at crack or anywhere else.&nbsp; I intend to cu=
t=20
control joints between the piers on which the building trusses sit.&nbsp; Th=
ey=20
are located on 12' centers in a 48' structure.&nbsp; Also intend to cut cont=
rol=20
joints longitudinally to divide slab into 3 section across&nbsp;the 30'=20
width.&nbsp; These joints all connect piers for structural posts which are=20
isolated from the slab by the same insulation, but cause the slab to have na=
sty=20
inside corners cast into it.&nbsp; The single crack goes from one post at=20
the&nbsp;mid point&nbsp;of the building length to the corresponding post pie=
r on=20
the other side.&nbsp; It winds several feet off&nbsp;course in the middle of=
 the=20
floor.&nbsp; The crack is about 1.5 mm on the one end&nbsp;and narrows to a=20
closed but visible crack in about 6 feet.&nbsp; It showed up all at once the=
 day=20
after turning some heavy timbers which were on stickers on the floor.&nbsp;=20=
I=20
could feel the vibration from the timbers&nbsp;slamming about 100' away in=20
the&nbsp;separate office building.&nbsp; There is a set of pipes and conduit=
=20
coming in under the slab right next to the post at the wide end of the crack=
=20
which may have provided a route for water under the slab.&nbsp; The shop is=20=
used=20
fro timber work&nbsp;ad the principal contaminate is sawdust&nbsp; I think t=
he=20
crack is pretty clean so&nbsp;far, but&nbsp;I would like to do what I can to=
=20
stabilize it ASAP.&nbsp; My concern is fro the well being of the pipes , as=20=
they=20
cannot take heaving and cycling if they are not sleeved.&nbsp; The crack in=20=
the=20
slab itself is of little or no concern as my work will not abuse the concret=
e in=20
general as long as I get the drainage issue addressed.&nbsp; Even a full loa=
d of=20
timbers would only be 20 to 30 tons spread over most of the floor.&nbsp; Aga=
in,=20
I feel that I can probably drill holes as deep as 1'" to 1 1/2" relatively=20
safely if that is necessary.&nbsp; I hope that addresses all of the major=20
variables.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>David J. Dauerty</DIV>
<DIV>To&nbsp;The Line Timber=20
Frames&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--
http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html