Brandy,
My daughter had 4 months of diarrhoea with 'no apparent cause'.  When I took
her off soy, it cleared up.  Also, you doctor may have been thinking that
wheat or gluten are the potential cause of the problem.  Diarrhoea is a
common symptom in that case.

I also wanted to say that anaphylaxis is not the only symptom which comes on
quickly.  I am allergic to casein but not 'anaphylactically'.  My response
is immediate (within an hour), strongly emotional and last for days.  Keep
track of the twins' moods; are they fussier than usual?  It may not be
overly dramatic.  I know that I have suffered from depression since I was
about 5 yrs old (from what my mother tells me, and what I remember) and if I
avoid dairy, I'm balanced.  When I accidentally ingest casein, I am very
tense and stressed within hours, totally withdrawn by hour 12, borderline
suicidal from about 24 - 72 hours from ingestion, back to withdrawn and
shaky (but seeing the possibility of 'clear skies') from then on.  In total,
the cycle takes about 4 - 5 days.

(Oh, and 'lactose free' milk actually has lactose but it also contains the
enzyme lactase.  My husband tried it but only purchased it once.  He said it
was too sweet)

Jacqui