There is also an excellent, but older, documentary out on Tourette Syndrome entitled TWITCH AND SHOUT that could provide information for the staff.  The range of manifestations of Tourettes is presented from eyebrow twitches to shouting vulgarities.  It helped me better understand this disorder.

Marilyn Irwin

From: EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marti Goddard
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 9:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tourette Syndrome

I think you are right, Lynne, it is really important for your colleagues to understand that this is a neurological disorder, not a mental illness, and that tics may be beyond this man's control.

I agree with Ravonne Green that it would be ideal if you could talk with the person and figure out together what accommodations he needs and how you might best explain the situation to your colleagues. This may be one of those times when your library needs to work with this individual and accommodate him by modifying policies, practices, or procedures to avoid discrimination and allow him to use its public services. At SFPL, we have a procedure through which users can request a change to our policies, practices or procedures. I will be glad to share forms with you if you are interested. Sometimes we can make accommodations, sometimes we can’t. I can share examples if you are interested.

The following is from http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/q%26aeng02.htm: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, Americans with Disabilities Act Questions and Answers

Q. How does title II affect participation in a State or local government's programs, activities, and services?

A. A state or local government must eliminate any eligibility criteria for participation in programs, activities, and services that screen out or tend to screen out persons with disabilities, unless it can establish that the requirements are necessary for the provision of the service, program, or activity. The State or local government may, however, adopt legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation if they are based on real risks, not on stereotypes or generalizations about individuals with disabilities. Finally, a public entity must reasonably modify its policies, practices, or procedures to avoid discrimination. If the public entity can demonstrate that a particular modification would fundamentally alter the nature of its service, program, or activity, it is not required to make that modification.

A local resource for information may be:

Tourette Syndrome Association

Northern California Chapter (Sacramento) 831-426-5648

Cindy Schuette e-mail [log in to unmask]

Good luck! I will look forward to hearing how this all works out!

Marti

Marti Goddard