Gambians Arrested In US

Several Gambians are among more than 30 illegal immigrants arrested on Tuesday morning at an electronics manufacturer in Durham, United States, NBC News reported. However, the number of Gambians involved is yet to be established.

Federal immigration agents swept into a Durham semiconductor company arresting 35 alleged illegal immigrants working there. NBC news reported that agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement rounded up alleged undocumented workers from Pakistan, Israel, Indonesia, The Gambia, Congo, Kenya, Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador around 5 am on Tuesday.

Tom O’Connell of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was quoted as saying that eight employees of Cree Inc. and about two-dozen contract workers were charged with violating immigration laws. "All of them used false identification documents to obtain jobs, and the eight Cree employees filed paperwork with the company stating that they were U.S. citizens," he said.

"Cree makes semiconductors, light-emitting diodes and lasers and has about $152 million in supply contracts with government agencies, such as the Department of Defense, NASA and the Department of Energy. A routine audit of government contractors turned up a list of employees that immigration officials said needed more extensive background checks, and Cree managers assisted in the investigation. The company won’t be held responsible for employing the aliens."

"We have no indication that any of these people are terrorists, nor were they over at Cree trying to do harm to any of their systems or to send that information overseas," he said.

But according to NBC News, O’Connell noted that the contractors who cleaned the building had access to its garbage, where sensitive information could be found, and three of the employees had jump drives on their key chains capable of downloading information off company computers.

"If someone from a foreign government wanted to extract high-tech information from a company, what better way to do it than through somebody that they can easily extort," he said.

O’Connell said the workers will be held at the Johnston County Jail until today Friday, when they will be transferred to Atlanta. "Some will have court hearings there on the charges against them, while others will be immediately deported," he said.

The contractors were employed by Pennsylvania-based GCA Services Group. Authorities didn’t say whether that company faces any further inquiry or cooperated with the investigation, which was handled by agents from ICE and the Defense Criminal Investigative Service.

-0-

Three Months After Mass Deaths, Ghanaian Investigators Due Here

 By Lamin Njie

 Three months since the discovery of bodies of eight Ghanaian economic migrants off the shores of Brufut Beach, Ghanaian investigators are due in The Gambia to probe into circumstances leading to the deaths.

News from Ghana had it that President John Kufour met with his Gambian counterpart on the sidelines of the 60th Session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York, on 17th September 2005. Among other things, the two Heads of State discussed about the deaths and disappearances of Ghanaian nationals in The Gambia.

According to Ambassador Kobina Wudu, acting Chief Director at the Ghanaian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, President Jammeh agreed during that meeting to allow Ghanaian investigators to join The Gambian team investigating the matter. "This has been the subject of yet another letter, dated 29th September 2005, from the Foreign Minister to his Gambian counterpart. Ghanaian investigators will very soon leave for The Gambia for this purpose. In the meanwhile, the Dakar Mission, which is in touch with the Ghanaian community in Banjul, is carefully compiling an accurate list of those Ghanaians who undertook the ill-fated journey."

The Ambassador was reacting to reports that the Ghanaian authorities are doing nothing to put pressure on The Gambia government or to investigate to know whether the rest of Ghanaians allegedly under Gambian security custody were dead or alive. "As you can see, government is quietly but vigorously pressing for answers to the questions posed by this tragedy. It will not, however, play to the gallery as it considers Ghanaian citizenship too precious a commodity to be the object of demagoguery or opportunism. Government intends to go about this delicate situation, involving the activities of law enforcement agencies of a sovereign sister ECOWAS country, systematically and purposefully so that the truth of this affair will be laid bare and its logical consequences realised," the Ambassador stated.

-0-

Editorial : Liberia Challenged

Come November, there will be run-off elections between the two leading contenders for Liberia’s presidency. Current leading candidate George Weah versus runner-up Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. Whatever the outcome of the run-offs, Liberia is set to have a new president and a new phenomenon on its political landscape. Either a former international soccer star or a first female president.

The recently concluded elections, in our view, went fairly well. Few reports of violence, which could be a consequence of the fact that none of the contesting candidates is in a position of power. Only two troubling reports seem to have emerged from the elections: One, claims by electoral commission chairperson Frances Johnson-Morris that she has received death threats; and two, reports that during the campaign, George Weah visited former dictator Samuel Doe’s hometown with tee-shirts bearing Doe’s portrait.

The first instance, the death threats - are troubling for obvious reasons. Liberia is still reeling from the trauma of brutal civil war and unimaginable violence. That some Liberians are still contemplating the use of violence beats the imagination. Liberians should be thinking of how to make peace, not engage in acts of violence. Also, we do not think it fair that electoral commission co-chair Jimmy Fromayan’s jeep should have been a target of would-be arsonists, or that Mr. Fromayan should publicly allege that the culprits might be partisans from George Weah’s party, since the police are yet to make any arrests in the case.

It is equally disappointing that George Weah, in his desire to win the votes in Doe’s hometown, should display the late tyrant’s portrait on t-shirts. Trying to win by all means is an ugly aspect of African politics that should be severely frowned upon. Moreover, Liberia is in such a mess today thanks largely to Doe’s horrible misrule. Appealing to ethnic sentiments by using Doe’s portrait smacks of gross irresponsibility and should receive the widest condemnation. We hope that come October when the run-off campaign begins, Weah and Sirleaf would be more careful in their drive to win votes. Winning by all means necessary is a bad sign for Liberia as for any political society.

We hope that whoever comes out the loser in the run-offs - barring obvious evidence of cheating - will, in the interest of the war-torn Liberian nation, gracefully concede defeat. We also hope that the winner will shun the usual politics of winner-takes-all. Each of the candidates who have contested in this election has something to offer and to contribute to the well being of the Liberian nation. It is our contention that considering the enormity of the task ahead for Liberia, all hands should be on deck. The winner would do well to invite all the losers to contribute what they can in restoring their beloved nation’s health.

Also, the winner should endeavor to learn from the mistakes of the past. Liberia’s next president needs Liberia’s best minds to help in rebuilding Liberia. The winner must keep an open mind at all times, respect the freedom of the media and the general public to criticize and analyze and point the way forward for the nation. The winner must make sure that institutions are put in place, and respected, to ensure that the ghoulish ghost of personal rule does not rear its ugly head again, that there are term limits, and that the vast human resource potential of that country is exploited for the benefit of both present and future generations.

Finally, we ardently hope and pray that the Good Lord helps the Liberian people overcome the daunting challenges ahead and restore their beautiful country’s peace and stability. But we ask the Liberian people to remember that ultimately, the destiny of their country lies in their hands. If we pray for peace and engage in violence, well, violence is what we will have. God helps those who help themselves.

-0-

 "Child Rights Are Ignored"

 By Pa Modou Secka

The First Lady, Madam Zeineb Jammeh has said that child rights are relatively hidden and generally ignored, which tends to undermine the very essence of childhood and child survival.

Speaking at the Senegambia Beach Hotel during the national consultation on violence against children, Madame Jammeh said children are often in the greatest danger in the places where they should feel the most secure. This, according to her, cuts across all boundaries of culture, class, education, income ethnicity and age. She said violence that occurs in our homes, schools and communities are related to health, legal, economic, educational, developmental and human rights issues.

"The lion’s share of responsibility for ensuring child rights rest with governments as set in the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child, a treaty, ratified by almost every country in the world."

Madam Jammeh said Children’s Act has been passed to protect children from abuse, neglect, trafficking as well as address their care needs. This Act, she added, recommended the reform of the juvenile he Act recommended justice system, training of the police, social workers, teachers and judicial authorities on child protection. "We are now seeing an increase in child rights and protection programmes by governments, NGO’s, private sector, and the tourism industries," she said.

"Children that are abused and exploited must be helped to find productive and healthy alternatives and rejoin the communities as responsible citizens. To achieve this, they need health care and information, skills training and education, protection from violence, psychological counseling, and programmes against substance abuse."

The UNICEF Country Representative, Mrs. Cheryl Gregory-Faye described children’s healthy growth and a violence-free environment as intertwined. "Violence interrupts, retards and destroys the survival and development of children. To create a milieu that promotes and protects the right of all children to a warm, loving, supporting and happy childhood becomes our greatest challenge," she said.

"Half of a significant population in West and Central Africa are children under 18 years. Yet the lives of a significant proportion of these children have been marked or continue to be marked by violence and abuse, conflict, poverty and unrelenting scourge of Hiv/Aids."

The director of Social Welfare, Ms. Fanta Sisay said the recommendation from the consultation would be part of the UN study. "This would enable government, communities, parents and children learn and better understand the magnitude, forms and impacts of violence on the live of children and what protective mechanisms need to be out in place to prevent such violence or assist victims."

She said a shelter for the protection of children would be operational in November and a family assistance ‘toll free hot line with a 199 number’ has been put in place with an emergency 24 hour duty team.

-0-

WAEC Confiscates Exam Results

 By Ansumana Darboe

At least 25 students from Kiang Karantaba Upper Basic School have had their results confiscated by the West African Examination Council (WAEC), The Independent was tipped.

As a result, these students who sat to the exam last May are yet to see their results. WAEC officials suspected examination malpractices because of series of similarity of the students’ works.

The school’s principal, Mr. Kissima Sisawo confirmed the story, adding, "Out of the 55 candidates that sat to the exams in my school, WAEC has so far issued 30 results. When I inquired what was holding the rest, WAEC officials told me that since they had suspected exams malpractice, they would therefore keep the results."

He said his attempts to convince WAEC officials that exams in his school were free from malpractice had failed to bear results. ‘They promise to probe into the matter so that a solution would be found. As I am speaking to you, I heard no news from them regarding the issue."

WAEC head office officials in Banjul would not comment on the issue, noting, "We do not communicate examination matters to the press, especially those dealing with results."

-0-

 NMCP, AOHJ Introduces Self-Assessment Tool

 By Ousman Baldeh

The National Malaria Control Program in collaboration with the Association Of Health Journalist has introduced the self-assessment tool for malaria competence.

The Self-assessment tool is a framework use to assess malaria competence based on key malaria control interventions. It was first used by petroleum companies, and then tested in the field of Hiv/Aids to build capacities of communities to take control over issues that affect their daily lives. It is now adapted to be the used in the field of malaria control and prevention.

The Tool draws plan of action that would lead to achieving set targets. It essentially promotes individuals or group actions that would lead to scaling key interventions for better health and it also promotes learning and sharing of knowledge. The Tool helps people to talk about realities of the disease, exchange perspectives, get to grasp the local reality, define priorities and actions adapted to context, formulate lessons learnt and identify what experiences to share and what to learn to enable them roll back malaria.

-0-

 LS Donates to Schools

 By Fatou Sanyang

 Lyncoln Solutions (LS) has recently presented learning materials worth more than thirty thousand dollars $30,000 to various schools in the Greater Banjul Area.

In his presentation, the CEO of Lyncoln Solution, Exodus Kilanko said the organisation’s aim is geared towards improving educational well-being of school children in Africa. After expressing his love for The Gambian school children, Mr. Kilanko said better quality and quantity learning materials should always be available to students for brighter future. " The best thing to give a child is education."

He pledged his company’s support to continue providing educational materials to schools.

School of Educational Pursuit, Gambia Senior Secondary School, Bakau New Town Lower Basic, St Joseph High, Solid Foundation Nursery and Gambia University Library benefited from the donation. Journalists were also given resource books.

-0-

 "Enhance The Lives Of The Weak"

 By Ansumana Darboe

The president of Soroptimist International of Banjul, Angela Andrews Njie has called on Gambians to help enhance the lives of the weak that comprises of mainly women, children and elderly.

Speaking during the celebration of the International Day for the Elderly, Mrs. Andrews said her organization is committed to give relevant services to the community in order to improve the lives of the weak. She said they recognize, the importance in ‘preserving the cultures and traditions of our heritage.’ "We also recognize the important role of the elderly in maintaining the stable, peace and loving society." Soroptimist International boss therefore called on the society to mainstream the concern of the elderly people. "Elders should form an integral part in the meaningful development of any society."

She lauds the government for increasing the length of the working age in the country but stop short to stress that the country is falling short in caring for the elderly.

She said the concern of the elderly would continue to be high on her organization’s agenda.

-0-

GNL Pays D60, 000 To Lucky Winner

 By Awa Jobarteh

The Gambia National Lottery (GNL) last Friday, paid an amount of D60, 000 to Juma Camara of Serrekunda London Corner after winning a jackpot.

Speaking during the presentation ceremony Fabakary Jammeh, marketing manager of the company said there is no barrier in playing the raffle. "It does not matter where you come from or what you do," he said. He added that the company is contributing immensely towards poverty alleviation in the country. He said there are three different jackpots presently going on.

The lucky winner of the jackpot, Juma Camara, who is an electrician by profession, said the money would be put into good use. "This is my first time to win the jackpot. I will continue to play jackpot and I call on all jackpot players to keep the momentum, as there lucks are on the way."

Dembo Fanta Bojang, managing director of the company presented the cheque to the winner.

-0-

 St Vincentia Society Biennial Assembly Ends

 By David Thoronka

The Vincentian Society of the Roman Catholic Church, Gambia chapter recently concluded their biennial national conference at the Gambia Pastoral Institute, GPI.

In his biennial speech, the chairperson of the society Mr. David Gomez said the society was founded in Paris, in1632 by St Vincent de Paul. "Evangelism of the gospel of district and the alleviation of human suffering are our main priorities," he said. He said it is their duty to perfect the needs of the poor. "Charity is inseparable with love and it is this vision that propel the founders, St Vincent de Paul and St Louise de Marillac to promote the international church humanitarian society."

Mr. Gomez highlighted that they have registered noticeable achievements over the years. "The socio-spiritual needs of the people have been taken care of. To pray and visit the sick ones and attend to the health and educational needs of others, while organizing activities that affects the live of people in confinements."He called on the Catholic Christians who have not caught the St Vincentia society’s vision to join hands so that together they can push humanity forward.

Speaking on the theme, ‘Vincent services-a social demand for youths,’ Fr Carl Gomez said from its earliest days, the Christian church gained a huge reputation for social care and welfare. He said the 1st Century; Christians spent an enormous amount of time and resources to the unwanted elderly. Fr Gomez added that AD 325, Christians showed themselves at that time to all the heathen in the most brilliant light. "For the Christians were the only people, who in the midst of so much and so great tribulation, proved by deeds their sympathy and love. Some were busy day after day with the care and burial of dead bodies, others gathered together into one place those tortured by hunger and supplied them with food." "When this became, people glorified the God of the Christians and confessed that they alone were the truly pious and God fearing people because they gave proof of it by their deeds."

-0-

The Night of Al-Qadr (Decree)

 By Ahmed B Saidybah

Praise is to Allah – The most High, and our salutations goes to the Holy Prophet (SAW), His companions and all those following the right path till the last day.

Alhamdulillah (Thank God) that we are about 17 to 18 days today into the blessed month of Ramadan, a month in which the Holy Qur’an was revealed as a guide to mankind. The specific day this noble event took place was on the night of Al- Qadr (The night of Power). To reap the benefit of this holy night therefore, we have to be steadfast in worship especially in the last ten days of the holy month. We do this in order to trap the night that is better than 1000 months.

Allah, Most High, Says (what means):

"Indeed, We sent it [i.e. the Qur’an] down during the Night of Decree. And what can make you know what the Night of Decree is? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit [i.e. Gabriel] descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn." [Quran: 97: 1-5]

Allah informs us that He sent down the Noble Quran in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree), the blessed night referred to in the His Words (which mean): "Indeed, We sent it down during the Night of Decree."

The night of Al-Qadr occurs in the month of Ramadan, as Allaah Says (what means): "The month of Ramadan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur’an..." [Quran 2:185]. Abdullah Ibn Abbaas, (may Allah be please with him), amongst others, explains that the complete text of the Noble Quran was sent down from Al-Lawh Al-Mahfooth (the Preserved Tablet) in the night of Al-Qadr to Bait Al-’Izzah (the House of Glory) in the lowest heaven, from whence it was revealed piecemeal to Prophet Muhammad, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam (may Allah exalt his mention) according to events which took place during his life over a period of twenty-three years.

In order to intensify the greatness of the matter of the night of Al-Qadr, which He has chosen for sending down the Noble Quran, Allaah Almighty Says (what means): "And what can make you know what the Night of Decree is? The night of Decree is better than a thousand months."

The Messenger of Allaah, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, mentioned a man from Bani Israa’eel (Children of Israel) who carried his sword in the Way of Allaah for a thousand months; the Muslims were amazed at this until Allaah revealed this verses (which mean): "Indeed, We sent it [i.e. the Qur’an] down during the Night of Decree. And what can make you know what the Night of Decree is? The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months." (i.e. the thousand months during which the man carried his sword in the Way of Allaah). [Ibn Abi Haatim]

Sufyaan Ath-Thawri reports, on the authority of Mujaahid, may Allah have mercy on them, that the night of Al-Qadr being better than a thousand months means that the good deeds performed in that night, fasting on the day next to that night and standing in prayer in it are better than a thousand months’ good deeds, prayers and fasting. [Ibn Jareer]

Likewise, it is narrated that whoever goes to Friday prayers neatly-dressed, with a pure intention, it will be written for him the reward of a year’s good deeds, as if he had fasted in it and spent its nights in prayer and in other acts of worship.

Abu Hurairah, (may Allah be pleased with him), reported that Allah’s Messenger, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, said: "Whoever stood in prayer on the night of Al-Qadr, in faith and hoping for a reward from Allaah, he will have all of his previous sins forgiven." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

It’s Descriptions

It is narrated on the authority of Abdullah Ibn Abbas that Allah’s Messenger, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, said: "It is a night of magnanimity and joy, neither very hot, nor very cold; and the sun of the morning following it is weak and red-coloured." [Abu Dawood]

The Prophet, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, also said: "Verily, I saw the night of Al-Qadr and then I was made to forget it, but it is (to be looked for) in the last ten nights, the night is clear and fine, neither hot nor cold, as if there were a full moon and during this night, the devils do not go forth until the light of dawn." [Ibn Abi Haatim]

Scholars have differed as to whether the night of Al-Qadr was extant for the communities, which preceded that of Prophet Muhammad, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, or whether it was specially designated for Muslims. There are two schools of thought on this subject: Az-Zuhri, may Allah have mercy upon him, said that Malick, may Allah have mercy upon him, informed him that the Messenger of Allaah, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, was shown the generations of old from mankind and it was as if the life-spans of his community (Muslims) were shorter, and so it was not possible to accomplish the same amount of deeds as those communities of old, who lived longer lives. For that reason, Allaah gave him the night of Al-Qadr, which is better than a thousand months. According to Malick, this necessarily means that Muslims have been specially favoured with the night of Al-Qadr.

The second view on this subject says that the night of Al-Qadr was given to the previous peoples as it was given to Muslims.

-0-

Has No Country In The World The "Guts" To Stand Up To US Or Britain?

by Father Seamus Fleming

Attacking Falluja during Ramadan (the Muslim month of praying and fasting) when Muslims were most venerable, was the greatest insult to the whole Muslims religion and the whole Muslim world offered by two Christian countries United States and United Kingdom.

At that time I had just arrived in The Gambia, West Africa and I really felt ashamed to be from a Western nation and a Christian country. Thousands of Muslims women and children are butchered, killed, tortured and murdered. There was a "Back out" on all news until they were buried in mass graves overnight with no photographic evidence. When a British or American solider is killed there is a great fuss made and they are given a state funeral but when an Iraqi woman or child is killed it is never mentioned. What has happened to Western civilization, Western democracy or Western Christianity? When I asked why no Western leaders condemned the attack on Falluja, the reply I got was United States is a Superpower and it does what it likes. Israel is breaking all rules in the book and it is backed by the US and Britain. Has no country in the world the "gut" to stand up to US or Britain? Where are our leaders religious otherwise?

I joined all Muslims on their great feast day (Eid) at the end of Ramadan in prayer. It was lovely to see thousands of Muslims men and women, boys and girls praying to Allah. I was impressed by great example parents are giving to their children. The courtesy, the kindness, the welcome, the charity of Muslims is not found anywhere else. Allah has blessed the Muslim world with oil and the greedy West want to take it from them.

What US, Britain, Italy and Poland, all Christian countries are doing in Iraq to ordinary Muslims makes me feel ashamed of my upbringing in the West and of what the Christian nations are doing in Iraq and wishing to do in Syria and Iran.

-0-

Rtd. Major Watts Visits Ndow’s

 Special Report By Alieu Darboe, Press Officer

 The Managing director of Cawaba Company Rtd. Major Douglas AG Watts has paid a courtesy call on students of Ndow’s Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, as part of his routine familiarization visits to communities.

Speaking to the students, Major Watts said his visit is geared towards fostering the good relationship between him and the students, whom he described as future leaders of the country. He urged them to promote peace, unity and discipline among themselves as well as heed advise from their teachers.

Major Watts described teachers as among people who are doing everything possible to give children knowledge, which he noted, will help them achieve their future goals. He pledged support to the students to help improve their lot at any time necessary, emphasising the need to use education, as a key to achieving success in one’s live.

Major Watts who hailed the students for their commitment to their education urged them to take their classes very seriously and always make good use of lessons discussed during school hours so that they can understand fully the lessons learnt and prepare well for any exams given to them. He said the only way to succeed in life is for them to be serious in their lessons and maintain discipline during their schooling career. He told students about his company’s plans to help outstanding students who are ready to learn and make use of their knowledge.

Major Watts in conclusion, thanked the administration of the school, as well as teachers for allowing him to meet the students and share his little advice with them, since his vision is to promote the welfare of the people that includes students as the future leaders of any country.

Speaking earlier, Ebrima Jaiteh, the company director and secretary who was a former teacher at the school, said it is very crucial for them to pay such a visit to the school. He said their primary aim is to engage in the national development of the country, which he said is multi-faceted. Mr. Jaiteh told the students that Major Watts has a lot of future plans for them "but the only way to get such gestures is to take your learning very seriously and always promote unity between yourselves and teachers who are giving you a knowledge that will help you to attain your future goal". He noted that every student should always make good use of school life had they known the value of such. Mr. Jaiteh also appealed to students to study hard and forget going to nightclubs and other social programmes.

For her part Fatou S. Njie, a grade 12 student, said they will take all the advice given to them by Major Watts and his company director, saying that "we as students, will promote unity, discipline, as well as foster a good relationship with our teachers". She thanked Major Watts for the visit, promising him that they will always take his advices at all time.

Present were teachers, student leaders, as well as officials from Cawaba Company.

-0-

Children And Crime In Society

by David Thoronka

Crime is almost a normal phenomenon in our society these days. In fact, it constitutes the major headlines in media outlets. The radio, Television, Newspapers, magazines, the Internet and other medium use to relate information all portray this event.

Children, adults and society in general are its biggest causalities. They are the audience, spectators and readers of this malevolent practice. Crime synopsis is regarded as a public wrong. Any act or omission, which a person does, that contravenes the criminal law of a country or society is considered to be a crime. For every crime committed, there is a corresponding punishment attached. Though the punishment should not be a blind act of vindictive retaliation against the convict.

The United Nations Charter on the Rights of Children (CRC) indicates that a person below the age of eighteen years is a child. Likewise the charter, the Criminal Law acknowledges the limited capacity of the child. They are regarded as minors and are afford with preferential consideration and treatment when dealing with cases that concerns children. The Criminal Law has gone further to exclude children below the age of ten years from criminal liability of whatever wrong they have done. This is totalled in the Latin Maxim "Doli Incapax" i.e. incapable of committing a crime. Also the name and detailed identity of a minor on trail is barred from publicity. All these steps are efforts to protect the dignity and integrity of a young person involved in crime. However, it seems that because of this special treatment afforded to children, that is why the status quo is changing. We are witnessing a lot of our children appearing before Magistrates’ for criminal charges these days. They involve in various crimes ranging from felonies to misdemeanours. Young people involve in murder, rape, drug peddling, theft and lots more. Their level of participation could also vary. Children nowadays actively involve either in the planning, execution or concealing of evidence or information after the commission of an offence.

Meanwhile, everything done under the sun is for a purpose. The increasing involvement of children in criminal activities could be for factors, such as socially, economically or psychologically. Peer pressure could lead a child to adopt and bred criminal intention if a child lives in a neighbourhood where crime pervades, obviously that child will interpret crime as one part of an individual’s character is normal. Perhaps for economic benefit is one of the major reasons why children develop criminal tendency. Their parents cannot afford all their basic necessities, so the fastest option to have is theft, prostitution or fraud.

Furthermore, there are those who engage in miscreant or criminal activities simply because it gives them pleasure of fun. These are children suffering from mental and psychological delusion. They simply commit crime because it makes them happy and most of the time they have no remorse for their psychopath. But if all these are factors, which propel them into demonstrating these unacceptable societal behaviours, then their can be ways to salvage this situation.

The government, private sector, NGO’s UN specialized agencies and the donor and international community should work as a team to provide a common front for children’s social, economic, educational and other needs.

Crime has a huge negative impact on a community and a nation as a whole. By all human justification and standards, crime is wrong and unacceptable. It has devastating consequences on the stability of the society and the human population crime militates against the moral bond that binds society together. It rapidly disintegrates the cohesive social network of a nation and inevitably plunge it into chaos, disunity and backwardness.

Criminal activities in a state stand as a paradigm of lawlessness. It ruins our human resources capacity by rubbing them of truth, loyalty, honesty, hard work and the fear of God. Thus, when that vacuum has been created in a person and indirectly the state, it is replaced by vices, which reduce that person into a level of a predator. Crime and criminal tendency is bad and opposes to the orthodox civilized way of life of all dignified society.

In conclusion, children are the bedrocks of all progressive society. They are active social actors and agents of change. Thus, in an effort to sculpturing a crime free society, the presence of the children should be contemplated. Children are trustworthy partners in effecting positive behavioural and attitudinal change in society. It is only when this discipline in inculcated into the children, that is how when they grow up into maturity they will not depart from it.

-0-

Thirty Days To Probe U-17 Crash

by Namory Trawally

 The enquiry commission set by the Department of State of Youth and Sports to investigate The Gambia national U-17 performance in Peru has been given thirty days to submit their report.

According to a press release from the Department of State, the report should be submitted by November 15th, 2005.

The commission, headed by the General Manager of First International Bank Mr. Momodou Musa had their first sitting last Saturday at the boardroom of the Independence Stadium.

The other members of the commission are Ebou Joof Director of Youth and Sports, Donald Sock National Sports Council executive secretary, veteran sports journalist Peter Gomez, Badou Njie Real de Banjul coach, Kabba Ceesay of Gambia Ports Authority and Mass Axi Gai vice chairman of GFA technical committee.

The release further revealed that the offices of the National Sports Council would serve as secretariat to the commission.

During their investigation the commission will invite prominent sports personalities to make statements on the early exit of the team in the Peru championship.

The commission appeals on Gambians to cooperate for the betterment of Gambian soccer.

It could be recalled that a similar commission was set up in 2003 by the then GFA president Alhagie Gabbi Sosseh to investigate the senior national team humiliation in Liberia in the World and African nations cup qualifiers. After completion of the investigation the then technical director Sang Ndong and his coaching staff were sacked.

BYSA Prexy Speaks Out

The president of Brikama Youth and Sports Association (BYSA) Lamin King Kolley has spoken strongly against some sport officials who are not in favor of the enquiry commission set to investigate the U-17 flop.

In a telephone chat with Independent Sports on Tuesday the outspoken Western Division Sports Committee (WDSC) chairman blamed a number of people who want to stand against the process of the commission.

Mr. Kolley openly lambasted Tombong Saidy for saying that he (Tombong) knew that something was wrong in the team before they left for Peru. "If Tombong Saidy was a good citizen and has the interest of the nation at heart he should have voiced out the problem before the Peru trip? Prevention is better than cure," Mr. Kolley stressed.

"Tombong Saidy was the first person to call for an investigation of the U-17 performance in Peru by organizing a football forum but one week later Mr. Saidy is no longer in for the investigation. Tombong Saidy made same big noises and was always against the then GFA president Gabbi Sosseh because the latter did not give him the chance to be part of the marketing committee and exploit the FA for his own interest," he added.

Mr. Kolley took the opportunity to thank President Jammeh for ferrying fans to cheer up the boys in Piura and Lima. " The accommodations were very good as commander Lang Tombong Tamba booked good hotels for us. The mayor of Piura hosted a dinner on our honors and a giant trophy was presented to us," Kolley concluded.

Njog Malick Memorial Tourney Underway

The second edition of the memorial football tournament is currently underway at the cocktail football ground in Fajara.

Nine teams from the Greater Banjul Area and the capital city Banjul are taking part in the football jamboree. The teams are divided into two groups. Group A comprises of: Senior Lions, Bob Marley, Kololi United, Kele-Bi and Sea View Hotel. Group B has Altrading, Old Hands Banjul, Old Hands Serrekunda East, and Kerr Riad.

In the opening game last week the defending champions Senior Lions defeated Bob Marley 2-0.

In other results of Week 1, Kololi United beat Kele-Bi 1-0 on Thursday while on Friday Altrading drew one all with Old Hands Serrekunda East. On Saturday Kerr riad lost 2-1 to Banjul Old Hands.

The tournament continues this weekend with Bob Marley taking on Kele-Bi today while Kololi United will battle it with Senior Lions on Saturday. On Sunday, Altrading lock horns with Kerr Riad.

At press time, on Thursday, Old Hand Banjul were clashing with their counterparts of Serrekunda East.

Hatib Janneh Jr of Sea View Hotel and Cotton Club sponsors the tournament. The winners will be awarded a giant trophy and a cash prize of D15, 000 and the runner up will receive D10, 000.

Nawettan Finals In Serrekunda

Both Serrekunda East and West will be wrapping up their 2005-nawettan championships this weekend with finals in both zones.

In Serrekunda East the replayed league final will be between United Stars and Ball Conge on Saturday. Last Sunday, the two teams drew goalless. The match penalty kicks was postponed due to darkness.

United Stars will be looking for their second trophy in the year after claiming the knockout trophy last Friday against Zurich FC 4-3 on post match penalty kicks. United Stars were awarded a trophy and a cash prize of D8, 000 while Zurich FC went home with D5, 000.

Meanwhile Serrekunda West zone is set for two finals this weekend at their mini-stadium.

Today at 4.30 pm Dippa Kunda United will battle it with Ngoyan FC in the knockout final. Ngoyan made it to the final after beating Tigers while Dippa Kunda United eliminated Jollof Tutors.

On Sunday 23rd, the ground will be set for the league final between Gintos of Bakoteh and Pipeline United. The Bakoteh boys are favourites but Pipeline happens to be the surprising team in the zone.

Western Union money transfer sponsors the league trophy.

-0-

Teacher Postings Faulted

 The 2005/2006 teacher postings across the country have been criticized for what is being described as ‘rampant misplacement in the positions of principals and vice principals.’

Many of these cases were said to have being reported to the various regional offices and to the human resources department (ITHRD) of the Department of State for Education (DOSE).

Sources at the Department indicated that in Koba Kunda Lower Basic School in the Central River Division, a new principal has being posted while the incumbent principal is not moved. This, sources said resulted to a clash between the two as to who should be in-charge. "The case was about to be laid to rest when one of them subdued and wanted to be the vice principal but the acting vice principal of the school who was also promoted to that position refused to step down. The whole showcase return and now there is two principals in-charge of the school."

However, aggrieve teachers who spoke to The Independent accuse the regional education authorities for the harsh conditions meted out to some of them teaching in the provinces. "The introduction of permanent teachers system reprieved us from the double shift allowance. This is very difficult to cope with. Only the head master and the vice enjoy the double shift which is very unfair," a primary school teacher said.

This reporter confirmed that Kaur Lower Basic School is on permanent teacher system.

Meanwhile, officials at the Department of State for Education could not be reach to shed light on the matter.

-0-

Ndow’s To Be Sued

 By Alieu Darboe

 Reports reaching The Independent has indicated that one Mr. Ozor, a former business management teacher at Ndow’s Comprehensive Senior Secondary School in Bakau is on the verge of suing the proprietress of the school for unlawful termination and breach of contract.

According to reports, the whole scenario happened on Wednesday October 5th while Mr. Ozor was teaching when he was called by the principal Mr. Yawson to meet with the proprietress of the school Mrs. Harriet Ndow. It added that Mr Ozor responded to the call. "When he entered the office, the principal asked him to sit down, and that was the time the proprietress shouted at him for not greeting her," a source said.

The source added that Mr. Ozor was on Thursday October 6th given a dismissal letter by the principal with series of accusations.

When contacted, Mr. Ozor confirmed his dismissal. He however corroborated the story. "I am going to take the matter to court immediately because I did not do anything that would warrant my prompt dismissal. I was never served with any warning letter. Mr. Ozor said the content of the letter states that he always came late, absents from school, and unruly behaviour towards the proprietress of the school. "All these are fabricated aiming to tarnish my good name."

-0-

 Astou Grey-Johnson Case Suffers Setback

 By Buya Jammeh

The legal tussle involving Astou Grey- Johnson and Dr. Baboucarr Njie, which reporters were barred from covering, last Monday suffered another setback due to the absence of their lawyers Bola Carol and Ousainou Darboe.

The two lawyers were said to have been attending a workshop, and the case that was first presided over by Magistrate Mboto, is now being transferred to Magistrate Amina Saho.

According to court records, Astou Grey-Johnson dragged Dr. Babucarr Njie to court claiming D200, 000 for damages, $2,000 for fixing the bridge she had in her gum and D400 for consultation fees. She dragged Dr. Njie to court for extracting her uninfected tooth in April 2004, thus causing her severe pain.

However, It could also be recalled that Magistrate Mboto who first presided over the case, earlier barred reporters from the courtroom not to cover a particular testimony in their legal wrangle. This came fallowing an application filed by the defense counsel lawyer Ousainou Darboe that the press should be restrained from covering the case and there was no objection from the plaintiff counsel Lawyer Bola Carol.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤