  From: John Elmer
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 8:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Need some help please.

  Hey,

  I have not had to deal with this issue for a few years, so my info may be out of date, but.........

  I understand that monitor manufacturers have attempted to deal with the "flicker" issue by adjusting their refresh rates.  Also, I understand that LCD/Plasma screens don't present the same issues.

  I am not sure what you mean by changing geometric images, but there are lots of computer based jobs that are large text based in terms of job responsibilities.

  Of course, the best thing to do would be to get an up-to-date neurologist involved.

  We in the helping professions can know a lot, but never as much as a neurologist who keeps upon this stuff.

  John Elmer

  Ventura College

        Catherine Newman <[log in to unmask]>
        Sent by: "* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>

        05/01/2005 10:08 CST

        Please respond to "* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information"

        cc

        bcc

        Subject
        Re: Need some help please.

  I apologize if someone has already replied to this posting:

  Some people who have epilepsy have been known to suffer from “photosensitive epilepsy” – this means that flickering images or changing geometric patterns on a computer screen could trigger a seizure.  There are several ways you can try to reduce the risk of an epileptic seizure for someone who is photosensitive, however, I wonder if there might not be another placement opportunity for this client that would avoid computers altogether (and thus any liability on your part)?

  Catherine Newman

  MLIS Student

  Universityof Denver