Hey Bill, does this go for the 2x4 studs used in newer home construction? I've found about 50% of those I can see in my house are jointed studs? I was told that these are stronger than the standard pine studs, and less prone to warpage. That makes sense in the fact that the studs in question are made of short sections, which naturally won't warp as much as a 8'-10' solid stud, but I never really felt that made them better.

Jim
-----Original Message-----
From: The listserv which takes flossing seriously! [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 2:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] built-up wood trim question...

In a message dated 5/9/2005 3:05:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
there are irregular joints in the wood every 12-36 inches or so.
C-

This sounds like "finger jointing" which is a wood-saving technique which utilizes all of the scantlings left over from the milling process. The joints are usually glued up with non-waterproof glue and are very weak. This stuff must be painted, and even then it is very susceptible to decay.

In Twybil-land we call it garbage, in Greece they call it scata...

In my part of Brooklyn the door surrounds, of softwood, are generally replicative of stone trim elements, and were painted the color of sandstone. Doors, of oak, were clear finished.

Twybil