Hi Phillip,

I copied this from the WD web site about installing SATA drives. Basically, you can use either the legacy 4 pin power (the one used for CD/DVD ROM drives, EIDE/ATA disk drives, etc) or an SATA power connector, but not both at the same time.

Follow these steps to physically install a Serial ATA (SATA) drive:
  1. Mount the drive in the system:
  2. The drive can be mounted in a standard 3.5" device bay. The drive can be mounted sideways, on end, or even upside down as long as the mounting screws are used properly. Use either the four bottom screws or four of the side mounting screws to support the drive. This will prevent vibration and provide additional electrical grounding.

  3. Set the jumpers:
  4. The drive has a jumper block located next to the ATA power connector (see image below). There is generally no need to change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive. The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power management for the drive. The drives ship in the default position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternately, the jumper can be removed completely with the same result. Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default position should be used.

  5. Attach the power supply cable:
  6. If your system does not support hot plugging (check with your system manufacturer), it must be turned off and unplugged before installing the drive. To supply power to the drive you may use either the SATA power connector or the legacy ATA-4-pin power connector on the back of the drive (see image below).

  7. Important: Do not connect both the SATA and the legacy ATA power cable to the drive at the same time. This may result in damage to the drive.

  8. Attach the SATA interface cable:
  9. The drive can be configured in one of two ways:
    1. Connected directly to a Serial ATA connector on the motherboard
    2. Connected to a SATA host adapter card installed to the system.
    The SATA interface cable has keyed connectors to prevent incorrect installation. Make sure the cable is no longer than 39 inches to minimize line noise and to remain within the SATA specification.