Gross Violations In The Gambia, As Human Rights Organisations review situation in the country

by Buya Jammeh

 The Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labour of the US State Department recently released a report on The Gambia’s human rights situation in 2004, outlining massive corruption, unlawful detention and gross inhuman treatment meted out to civilians and citizens in recent times, amidst a wide range of violation of fundamental human rights.

The report acknowledged that though the courts have demonstrated independence, but the judiciary, especially of the lower levels, have been corrupted and subjected to executive branch pressures, with quite good number of detainees being detained without fair trials and expedition.

It further indicates that the government at times infringed on citizens’s rights, notably among which is the limited freedom of speech and of the press by means of intimidation and restrictive legislation to trample on the rights of the people.

In the same vein, the report deliberates on the Indemnity Act, which continued to prevent victims from seeking redress, citing instances where the army requested victims to file formal complaints so that cases could be investigated, but there were no mention of it in the civil courts for soldiers accused of torturing individuals.

It is also indicated that during the year under review, the report outlined that soldiers escorting the Vice President convoy shot a motorist for failing to make way for the convoy, to which the army spokesman confirmed and promised that the matter would be investigated, but up till now nothing is done to the effect.

It also holds brief of the fact that an opposition politician, Lamin Waa Juwara, who was incarcerated for six months at the Mile 2 Central Prison, revealed tales of appalling poor dietary conditions at the prison, with several inmates continuing to experience over drowsing, including detainees awaiting trial. The prison condition is horrible the report indicates as some inmates occasionally had to sleep on the bare floor, using mats or blankets. Prison gangs were reluctant to intervene in an affray between prisoners, and as a result some of the prisoners were injured in scuffles.

The Bureau further states that despite the fact that the constitution prohibits arbitrary detention, the police and security forces at times arbitrarily arrested and detained citizens without recourse to their rights, noting that the constitutional requirement that detainees should be brought before a court of law within 72 hours is in most cases neglected.

During the year, there were cases of detention that exceeded the 72 hours limit, involving the former majority leader of the National Assembly who was standing trial on charges of economic crimes, and several associated cases including Andrew Sylva, who was also detained exceeding the 72 hours limit.

Meanwhile, the report further outlined the detention and questioning of the former Editor-In-Chief and the Managing Editor of The Independent Newspaper, Abdoulie Sey and Yorro Jallow, respectively, over published articles, the government considered inaccurate and sensitive for public digest.

It also indicates the attack on The Independent’s printing press by unidentified persons, the death threat on Demba Jawo, GPU President, by the so-called "Green boys", the attack and the burning of the house of Ebrima Sillah, the BBC correspondent in Banjul and the shooting of Deyda Hydara and two female members of his staff.

-0-

How President Jammeh Got It Wrong

by Alieu Badara Sowe

I have been compelled to put pen to paper to set the records straight after realising that our beloved country was being confused by no less a person than the head of state. After a decade of leadership many of us were with the belief that President Yahya Jammeh would eventually come to realise that the Gambian media, the independent press in particular, are not his enemies but rather partners in development. But we were wrong!

From the word go, President Jammeh had it in his head that we the journalists are the devil incarnate and that we were hell bent on getting rid of his regime. He was mistaken because what he did not realise was that politicians come and go but journalists are here to stay. Ex-President Dawda Jawara came and went and he too would equally go and live us here, sooner or later.

I remember at one of his first rallies in Bakau when he called us all sorts of names and asked his supporters to get rid of us. Well, Mr President, we are still around. To cut a long story short, what concern me now are his recent allegations against the professional body of Gambian journalists, which cannot be allowed to continue unchallenged.

In his interview with the GRTS’s Neneh Macdoll, published by the Daily Observer, President Jammeh was quoted as having said that when people hate you, even when you are dancing in the ocean they will complain that you were raising dust, thus causing them to catch cold. This is exactly his problem! He has over the years developed that much hatred for the independent press, particularly The Independent newspaper, that anything he has been told by his sycophant advisers, he immediately believed without double-checking.

He said in his interview that The Independent published about him being shot, and that he had to abstain from taking legal action against them after people appealed to him. Well I challenge him to show us the said publication. For the records, it was me that exposed the said shooting incident at his home village of Kanilai. I published the story whilst working for the Daily Observer (not The Independent), and nowhere did I mention that he was shot. What I mentioned was that when the shooting started he (Jammeh) went into hiding and it took the soldiers a while to discover that he was hiding in the nearby bushes. The latter was edited by the then Editor-in-Chief before the story was published.

I was later arrested together with the Editor-in-Chief at the time by the NIA. He was immediately released, and whilst I was kept in detention, the NIA told me that they had released the Editor-in-Chief because he was a "patriotic citizen" by editing that part of my story. The NIA told me that they could not prosecute me for fear that the said part of my story would be out in the open and people will be thinking that "the president is a coward." But whilst I was still in detention, President Jammeh travelled to the USA where some concerned Gambians heckled him. One of the hecklers, a female Gambian journalist (Fatou Jaw Manneh) reminded him that whilst he (Jammeh) was in America preaching democracy, there was a journalist languishing in detention in The Gambia. He (Jammeh) then claimed that the said journalist (meaning me) had claimed in a publication that he was shot. "Will I be standing here if I were shot," he queried. At the time, I thought, I should just forget it as his advisers will correct him. What I did not realise was that even if he had advisers, he never listens to anyone.

What compelled me though to set the records straight is that after five years he still believes a journalist had written that he was shot. I would have expected the Daily Observer to attach a footnote to the Neneh Macdoll interview rectifying the president, since the Editor-in-Chief at the time of my arrest over the Kanilai story is now at the helm of affairs at the paper. It just makes one wonder how some people can easily do away with their principles.

The President also needs reminding that those who live in glass houses must not throw stones! He accused a section of the media of writing stories they have been paid to write. Again he conveniently labelled such people as "cheque book journalists." He went on to tell us that journalists should have prove before they publish stories but what he did not do was to tell us who those journalists are and to show us the prove for his allegations.

I have worked with almost all media houses in The Gambia but what a nightmare working as an independent journalist in President Jammeh’s Gambia. Apart from the draconian media laws hanging over our heads, there is the official censorship, self-censorship and then you and your family living in total fear. A Gambia where officials are all the time in perpetual denial, even if something happens that is of public knowledge and all that the journalist wants is official explanation.

On a final note, I know President Jammeh does not want to understand our position, however, I wish someone would explain to him that those of us who went to submit a petition to the British Prime Minister are descent Gambians who have lost hope in not just him but our security services. We were not as he claimed (not surprised that the Observer doctored that bit) "Asylum seekers wanting to be allowed to live in Britain." Rather, many of those who came to the picket are legitimately pursuing their education, and some of us have got no condition attached to our living in this country, where, unlike present day Gambia, there is rule of law and respect for human rights. If the description of being mosquitoes is to better suit anyone, it is the so-called Musa Sambou, purportedly from the Gambia High Commission in London, who came to video the protesters. So, Mr President, it is extremely important that you always get your facts right before castigating Gambian journalists. That way you will earn the admiration that a leader deserves from his subjects.

-0-

 Hakim Reacts To His Detention

Wally Mahmoud Hakim, a Gambian businessman of Lebanese origin who has recently been released on bail by the National Intelligence Agency as a principal suspect in the murder of the late Deyda Hydara has reacted to his arrest and detention, denying that some of the arms and ammunitions paraded on GRTS television belonged to him.

During Mr. Hakim’s detention, the NIA displayed on GRTS television several arms and ammunition which they claimed were found in his possession.

In a letter dated 1st March 2005, addressed to the Director General of the NIA and copied to the Secretary General, the Secretary of State for the Interior, the Attorney General and the American Ambassador, a copy of which was acquired by the The Independent, Mr. Hakim denied that some of the items displayed on television belonged to him. He said, among other things that the GRTS broadcast was unfair as it contained a lot of misrepresentation of facts.

However, all attempts to reach Mr. Hakim for comments proved futile.

We reproduce below the letter he wrote:

Mahmoud Hakim

Kerr Serign

The Gambia

1st March 2005

Director General

National Intelligence Agency

Marina Parade

Banjul

Dear Sir,

On the 17th day of February 2005, I was invited to the National Intelligence Agency Headquarters in Banjul for questioning. I was also subsequently asked to give a statement which I did, and I informed the National Intelligence Agency Authorities about my arms and ammunition which I had in my possession, and which were all properly licensed by the Police Authorities.

When I handed over these items to the NIA, I requested for, and was handed two receipts for the said items. These items did not include any silencer or any army issued gun. Sometime after handing over the licensed guns, which I use only for hunting, I saw on television a number of guns including silencers said to have been found in my possession.

I would like to believe that you were not aware that these items which were paraded on television were never in my possession, and that it is because of your lack of such knowledge that you went on television to suggest that all these items were in fact found with me.

Your television broadcast has caused a lot of anxiety and embarrassment to my family and to me.

I have made it abundantly clear, that I was not in any way involved in the killing of Deyda Hydara, and I have no doubt that your officials know this as a fact from their investigation.

I have taken the unusual step to writing, so that it is on record, that the broadcast that was made was unfair and contained a lot of misrepresentation of facts.

I have cooperated completely with the National Intelligence Authorities, and I am very disappointed to note that despite my cooperation, I am being treated as I have been.

I have been made to report at the National Intelligence Agency on a daily basis. I have been detained for over a night on two occasions, and even my daughter has been questioned as to why she did not go to school.

I would be grateful if you could use your good offices to ensure that any investigation is conducted properly and in a fair and honest manner.

For the record, I also wish to point out that, I am a Gambian and an American citizen and not as was stated in the report "a Lebanese businessman residing in The Gambia".

I would also point out, that I gave the National Intelligence Agency a copy of my fire arms identification card issued in the United States and my local licence issued by Banjul Police which I have had for about ten years.

I have been completely open with the National Intelligence Agency, and I have cooperated fully with its investigations and I would expect courtesy in their operations, and this is what I solicit by this letter. I would also hope that the mistakes made in the information given to the media will be corrected in due course.

Yours faithfully

(signed)

Wally Mahmoud Hakim

- The Secretary General

- The Secretary of State for the Interior

- The Attorney General

- The American Ambassador

-0-

Socrates Revisited

by Baba Galleh Jallow

 Thousands of years ago, the people of Athens committed a crime that is being decried to this day. Their trial and condemnation to death of Socrates, their city’s greatest thinker, acknowledged to this day as the world’s greatest philosopher, was the result of the common propensity to falsely accuse lovers of truth and justice that continues to plague human society. Socrates, who had spent all his life teaching the virtues of wisdom, truth and justice, and striving to raise the common people from the dungeon of ignorance to the tower of wisdom, was accused by the powers that be of corrupting the youth of Athens and not believing in the gods of the city. Both charges, of course, were false.

In ‘The Republic,’ his classical treatise on political society and the nature of the Good, Plato, a student of Socrates, sets out to prove the falsity of the charges for which his teacher was forced to drink poison. The basis of Plato’s defense of Philosophy against the charge that it undermined political society is the fact that throughout The Republic, the philosopher, in the person of Socrates, seeks only what is best for a healthy political society. He is constantly engaged in the arduous task of enlightening society, teaching the requirements of justice, truth, wisdom and all the virtues that make for a good person and a good society. Socrates is particularly concerned with the proper education of the youth. He decries immoderation and excess, and emphasizes the need for the predominance of reason over sprit and desire in the human soul. To have a good society, he teaches, you must have a good individual. It is an aggregate of good people that make up a good society. Thus, there is nothing in what Socrates teaches that, objectively speaking, does not promote the well being of society. It was for this good crime that he was killed.

Socrates teaches that the chief function of the State is the education of the youth to become good human beings. Therefore, he advocates a strict supervision of what is taught in schools, what parents teach their children, what peers learn from each other and in general, the need for children to learn discernment, discrimination and unshaking loyalty to the State as an institution (e.g., The Gambia), as opposed to the rulers, among other virtues.

It is in the quest for this proper education that Socrates advocates censorship in The Republic. He points out the numerous dangers of teaching young children the stories of the gods according to the ancient poets Homer and Hesiod. These two poets, among others, portray the gods as if they have all the shortcomings and evil propensities of human beings. He proves to his audience that the gods, being good and perfect, should not be portrayed as capable of bad things or transforming themselves into something less than perfect. Accounts of the gods weeping and wailing over their misfortunes, taking human or animal forms to rape women, doling out evil fortunes to human beings or practicing deceit, Socrates argues, should be purged from the poetry taught to children because they have the potential to corrupt their young impressionable minds by not teaching respect for just authority and harmony among the powerful, among other virtues.

Socrates further argues for the purging from contemporary poetry of all details likely to cause young people to prefer slavery to death. Dark and horrendous accounts of Hades (the world of the death in Greek mythology) as a place of torment and misery, Socrates argues, are likely to cause young people to fear death and instil in them a sprit of cowardice and timidity. Poetic accounts of death must be such as to make the young eager to die for the State, truth and justice when the need arises. Poets, Socrates argues, must not be allowed to extol tyranny in the city because it would make this worst form of government look appealing to the minds of the young. Socrates advocates that children must be taught to be reasonable and disciplined, to love truth, wisdom, justice, courage, honesty and moderation, and to shun excessive laughter, drunkenness, sexual indulgence, and all forms of immoderation, deceit and injustice. As he says in Book Three of The Republic, future leaders must, from childhood on, ". . . pattern themselves after men who are - among other things - courageous, temperate, reverent and free." By giving them the right kind of education, Socrates argues, " . . . we could protect our guardians from growing up in the presence of evil, in a veritable pasture of poisonous herbs where by grazing at will, little by little and day by day, they should accumulate a huge mass of corruption in their souls."

Plato perhaps makes his case for the philosopher most poignantly in the allegory of the cave. Society, including the philosopher, is imprisoned in a dark cave where everyone is chained to a chair facing a wall across which shadows move. They cannot turn their heads to see the source of the shadows and so they believe that the shadows are the reality. Released from his shackles and binders, the philosopher is forced out of the dark cave and forced to look upon the light - to see the good and appreciate the beauty of knowledge, truth and wisdom. Thus enlightened, he is duty bound to descend back into the dark cave to try to convince those prisoners that what they see on the wall in front of them are mere shadows and fake images of reality. Of course, Plato argues, the philosopher would be hated and ridiculed by the shackled cave dwellers, particularly their leaders, because he would be challenging the very foundations of their entire existence. Life in the cave is defined by a common perception of reality on which the honor and prestige of many are based. The philosopher thus faces not only the difficulty of convincing the prisoners, but also the danger of being accused of denying the most fundamental beliefs of the cave dwellers and corrupting the minds of the young among them.

Plato seems to suggest that while the charge against philosophy is, objectively speaking, untrue, it is, in a sense, true. Socrates’ ideas, he grants, are inherently subversive of the status quo because he teaches that the existing educational structure is the prime source of individual and social injustice in the city and advocates its dismantling and replacement by a curriculum that would teach men to be just. He exposes the corruption of the Athenian regime and calls for the use of reason and wisdom and the practice of justice in the art of governance. Socrates was killed because he advocated a radical paradigm shift, a total overhaul of existing corrupt structures of power and privilege. He was killed because he taught truth and courage, and challenged the regime to act in the interest of the people rather than in their own selfish interests.

Today, part of the Socratic role is played by the media. Which is why tyrants and despots are so hostile to the media. Those who rule in their own selfish interests, those who would keep the people shackled in the dark cave of ignorance and mental poverty, those who would be lords and masters rather than servants of the people, power-drunk despots who are slaves to their greed and base desires - those people will do everything within their means to snuff out the light of truth and justice. They may succeed in snuffing out the lives of individuals, but they can never snuff out the light of truth and justice because this light is of the essence of God and cannot be touched by the soiled hands of power-crazed despots.

-0-

Jammeh Outraged Over Violence, Urges Police to intensify investigations

by Sana Camara

In what is regarded to be a stalwart of determination, rather than mere political rhetoric, President Jammeh has raised concern over the dreaded menace of violence that has taken place in recent times, and urged the police to intensify its machinery of investigations to uncover the spate of violence in our midst.

President Jammeh has told the National Assembly that in recent months, the menace of "armed gangs of thieves" have been wrecking havoc on our peaceful shores, and that even the rural areas (where the crime rate is traditionally low) have not been spared by the armed robbers, while the Greater Banjul Area continued to be hard hit by a spate of violent crimes, most of which have largely remained unresolved.

While outlining his government’s security plans for 2004 under the auspices of "Defense and Interior," he said the Police Intervention Unit, as part of its regular operations would patrol commercial areas and crime baron vicinities. "To this end, the decentralization of the Police Intervention Unit is continuing… in October last year, the first batch of 70 P.I.U personnel were deployed to Fatoto in the URD to take up border patrol duties," he stated, adding "barely two months of their deployment, the police made a major break-through by arresting a gang of armed robbers who were responsible for all cases of armed robberies in the area, including very violent and fatal ones in which victims lost their lives."

Although the President was not specific, as to which case, particularly on the issue at stake (investigations into Deyda’s case) he nonetheless continued to dilate on a training package that the Police Force has benefited from the U.K government, at the tune of D5,466,032 for the training of 400 recruits.

Jammeh also dilated on community policing – a new concept of policing which he said, will inject into all the communities a sense of ownership of their own security, "and should be" the guiding principle for policing in the 21st century. "Government’s contribution in the fight against narcotics drugs is further evidenced by her willingness to commit 75 percent of all drug fines to the council to support its operations and activities," he indicated.

Meanwhile, he told NAMs that the Kanilai Fire Station began fire fighting and ambulance service operation for Kanilai, Bwiam and the environs, including Foni Kansala, Jarrol, Brefet and Bintang Karanai

-0-

Agriculture In The Doldrums

Once again, after less than a year of relinquishing the portfolio, President Jammeh has taken over the Department of State for Agriculture. This has no doubt caused some stir within both the farming community and amongst senior officials of the Department of State, as everyone is worried about the consequences of such a move.

While President Jammeh has all the rights to sack Sulayman Mboob for failure to deliver, but it is a well known fact that his own tenure of handling that portfolio was certainly not better. Indeed it was no doubt as a result of the numerous complaints that he chose Mr. Mboob to take over. Therefore, the farmers in particular have a good reason to be concerned about him taking over the portfolio, considering what happened when he was in charge.

It is a well known fact that Sulayman Mboob has been in agriculture virtually all his working life, having held very important international positions in various parts of the world. He has no doubt worked under various climatic conditions and with different systems of agricultural production. Therefore, he must have garnered a vast amount of experience in agriculture and as such, it is very interesting to hear that he had failed to properly manage the Gambian agricultural sector.

It is therefore quite hard to imagine that President Jammeh could succeed where Mr. Mboob has failed. Even though he has been hailed by his praise singers as the "most successful farmer" in this country, but it is very obvious that President Jammeh has not got half as much experience in agricultural administration as Mr. Mboob, and therefore, it is hard to think of him doing much better in running the agricultural sector.

Indeed, the very fact that he had to hand over the agriculture portfolio to Mr. Mboob after handling it for a while was an indication that he was not capable of running it better.

Therefore, even if there was a problem with the way Mr. Mboob was handling the sector, then everyone had expected President Jammeh to appoint someone else to run it rather than taking it over. There is certainly no shortage of qualified people with the experience and the expertise to handle the portfolio much better than he would.

Another likely problem with regard to his tenure as Secretary of State for Agriculture would be the fact that even the senior officials of the sector would find it extremely difficult to have regular access to him let alone the ordinary farmers. As agriculture deals directly with the most marginalized segment of the society, it demands that whoever is in charge should maintain constant contact with the beneficiaries. However, with the very nature of his office and work as head of state, no matter how much willing he would be to do that, it would certainly not be possible to maintain that regular rapport with the senior officials and the farmers which is required of anyone handling the agriculture portfolio.

Therefore, the only answer to the problem is to hand over the portfolio to someone with the requisite experience and time to deliver.

-0-

 Millennium III Receives US$50,000 Grant From WAF

by David Thoronka

The West Africa Foundation (WAF) recently presented a cheque of US$25,000 to the Millennium III Foundation for Education and Empowerment, a registered NGO, at the Kairaba Beach Hotel. Millennium III previously received a grant of the same tune (25000$) from WAF which makes it US$50,000 in total received.

Speaking at the presentation ceremony, Hawa Faal WAF CEO said that the establishment and mission of the foundation is to support programs and organisations that promote better environment, lifestyle and standards of living for all peoples in West Africa, through grant and project management.

She further stated that WAF will collaborate with government (s), NGOs and other agencies in the area of health, education, environment, youth, gender and capacity building, adding that the foundation has demonstrated its mission by issuing a grant to the Millennium III foundation for education and empowerment geared towards pursuing quality education in The Gambia.

In thanking the donors, the Director of Millennium III Foundation, Ramatoulie Ceesay said that this was a cooperate gesture that further demonstrates the partnership that exists between the private and public sector. She stressed that the grant will be utilised prudently and efficiently for the benefit of the beneficiaries.

Adding his voice to the occasion was also the PS for the Department of State for Education, Mr. Babucarr Boye who indicated that both Foundations are concerned with a crucial department, which is relevant in the socio-economic development of any country. "Any little effort to ameliorate the standard of education in this country will be welcomed with great joy," he pointed out. Noting that if all sectors of this country donated 1% of their generated wealth, everyone will be talking about education for all in the soonest possible time. He once again stressed his department’s commitment to the improvement, development and promotion of education in the country.

Meanwhile other prominent speakers at the occasion where the CEO of Millennium III Foundation, Mr. Omar Sheriff and Mr. Edrissa Mass Jobe board member of WAF who gave the vote of thanks. The Guests of honour at this function were the American Ambassador to The Gambia, Joseph Stafford and the founder of West African Foundation Mr. David Ford.

-0-

 "4,000 Scouts To Be Recruited"

by Pa Modou Secka

The Secretary of State for Youths and Sports Hon. Samba Faal has strived to reinforce the Scout movement in Africa so that it becomes self-sustaining and achieved its goals by building the human capacity of selected National Scout Associations (NSAS) to a level that will enable them meet the needs and aspiration of their membership.

Hon. Samba Faal made this during the opening of the Jacobs Foundation Leadership Project at the Girls Guides Headquarters in Kanifing theme "Developing Young Leaders Assuring Africa’s Future."

The SOS made it that The Gambia Scout Association is amongst 6 National Scout Association being Burundi, Mauritania, Niger and South Africa.

NSA will expand to 12 NSAs and will recruit and train 4,000 voluntary Scout leaders who will come leaders within their own communities, he added.

Scouting was born in Africa almost 100 years ago and started in The Gambia 84 years ago. He added that the Africa Region represent a voluntary corps of about 1.5 million young people of which 20,000 are Gambians.

The humanitarian services offered by young Scout volunteers in the fields of brokering, conflict resolution, providing clean water, or immunizing children against Polio, HIV/AIDS sensitization to commended for good work, he said.

The Gambia’s Vision 2020 and the Millennium Development Goals, all of which are geared towards achieving poverty reduction, fighting diseaĂses, illiteracy, protecting the environment, he charged.In September 6th to 10th, 2004 a grant of one million United State Dollars was given by the Jacob Foundation for implementation of a project "Developing Young Leaders, Assuring Africa’s Future" to meet the National Scout Association perform satisfactorily, he said.However in a fast growing movement of 30 million young people world-wide, it is imperative that the Gambia Scout Association keeps abreast with treads development, SOS Faal said.In his address, the Scout Regional Director for Africa, Major Kunuthia Murugu said a ten-year work plan has been drawn to strengthen the movement of the Scout Association. He further that 46 movement of Scout are their in African Continent and the Gambia is among them.He acknowledge the improvement in the management of the sufficient in the way forward as the Scout movement is the largest as 30 million in the world.In setting partners, he said Africa Region are going forward in development to meet the needs of their standard."A pilot project phase are being organised by six country by the Jacob Foundation for the subject being picked for development," he stated.He urge the Gambian Scout to take up a strategic plan to be able to take Scouting in a better way forward to achieve the goals for development.T partnership of Scouting is simple to develop the young youths in The Gambian society in producing leaders in Africa at large. The Government of The Gambia is supporting the Scouts as 18 thousand young people in the Scout Association are in the African Region, he stated.

"Supporting Scouting is supporting the future," he charged.

Renewal of promises was done by the Scout body after the opening ceremony.

-0-

 SCB Honours The Media

by Sana Camara

Standard Chartered Bank Gambia Ltd. on Saturday hosted a dinner, in honour of the media at the Kairaba Beach Hotel.

The dinner which brought together journalists from both public and private media in the country gave them the opportunity to interact with what SCB calls MANCOM (its management committee) and was hosted by the Bank’s Chairman of the board of Directors, Momodou B.A. Senghore.

Speaking at the occasion, Mr. Senghore called for a minute silence, in honour of the memory of the late Deyda Hydara, who he said, "certainly would have been in our midst to share in the occasion that brings us together tonight". He continued, "This get-together has now developed into a tradition in which you the representatives of the Fourth Estate and we bankers, servants of our clientele interact and cement up our relations. Needless to say that it has overall been a positive one, though not without a few insurmountable hitches here and there"

In response, the chairman of the Gambia Press Union, Demba Jawo thanked the bank for undertaking such an initiative which he said will be positive in cementing relations between the bank and Gambian journalists.

-0-

UNEP To Phase Out Leaded Gasoline In The Gambia

by Pa Modou Secka

The Government of The Gambia in collaboration with the United Nations Agency for the Environment (UNEP) intends to phase out the use of leaded gasoline in The Gambia.

The Clean Air Programme of UNEP is an outcome of the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) held in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2002 and it hopes to bring Africa in line with the rest of the world to completely eliminate the use of leaded gasoline in vehicles by December 2005.

According to a document signed for the Secretary General Office of the President by Mr. Momodou L.S Ceesay said, the Energy Department in consultation with the National Environmental Agency (NEA) is coordinating the phasing out of leaded gasoline in The Gambia.

It further revealed that the first step in the implementation of this program is to hold a national stakeholders workshop to inform all stakeholders, discuss relevant issues pertaining to the institutional, legal and regulatory regimes and come to a consensus on a national strategy in this process for a lead-free fuel use. The stakeholders will conduct a sensitisation campaign following the outcome of the workshop, the document continues.

The phasing out of leaded gasoline in The Gambia would be attended by permanent secretaries from various departments, the Solicitor General and the Legal Secretary at the Department of State for Justice, Director of the Geology Department, NEA, Executive Directors and Commissioners of various divisions in The Gambia.

-0-

Search For HIV Microbicide Intensifies

With the lack of an AIDS vaccine, research continues to develop easy to use topica1 medications for the prevention of HIV infection, the virus that causes AIDS, and other sexually transmitted diseases.

This type of medication -possibly a gel, cream or suppository -is called a microbicide.

Microbicide research was discussed at a recent scientific meeting in Washington. Voice of America’s Cole Mallard spoke with three of the specialists from the meeting.

The Global Campaign for Microbicides says the: product would be "the most important innovation in reproductive health since the birth control pill." But no safe or effective microbicides are currently available.

Marge Chigwanda, a community educator in Zimbabwe for the HIV Prevention Trials Network, says it’s needed for women who have little or no say in having safe ‘sex.:

"Being a woman, I’m very hopeful for microbicides that I’m now given a choice, you know, in terms of protecting

myself," she says.

Dr. Janet Frohlich International Community chairperson for the H-P-’T –N, says community participation in microbicide research is critical, adding that "communities are living the epidemic, which maybe you and I aren’t. We might be affected [by] it at a different level.

But when communities are living and experiencing a situation, it is a most natural response for one to be able to become part of a solution or problem to your own setting or your own community. And this is why we have such an overwhelming response of communities wanting to engage initiation stage, and they’re consulted in the process".

Dr. Frohtich says community involvement begins with specific steps. For example, in Africa, the first step is to engage the local leadership, then consult with N-G-Os — such as faith-based organizations and women’s groups.

She says, "They would then be able to discuss the idea of microbicides -what is a microbicide, what does microbicide mean to women’s heath within the whole notion of reproductive health, what does microbicide mean to

involving men and how important it is that we are able to engage men into this process."

For example, Ms. Chigwanda says many HIV positive women are growing impatient with what they view as the slow pace of microbicide research; And Ms. Chigwanda says that impatience must ‘be taken into account when asking the community to participate in clinical trials.

Meantime, a critical question remains -when will a safe, effective and affordable microbicide become available? Dr-’ Zvavahera Michael Chirenje, a Zimbabwean gynecologist and researcher for the HIV Prevention Trials Network, thinks it will happen in the next few years.

-0-

Lord Of The Rats (Part One)

by Baba Galleh Jallow

His Excellency the President, Retired General Smoothface Ratty let the guttural bales of laughter rumble freely from his generous entrails up his fat-clad gullet. There was something re-assuring to him about the booming sound of that laughter – something that convinced him that yes, he was the most powerful man in the world. For the guards and secretaries stationed outside his large office, it was just another work morning at the President’s Office. That laughter no longer made them think that the boss was happy today. It just meant that he was having fun yet again at one of his own all-important jokes; most probably at the expense of some poor fellow forced to also laugh with the boss. Who would not laugh when the Retired General laughed?

General Ratty, inclined in his massive executive chair, let the last tiny rumbles of laughter pop deliberately out of his throat, copiously wiping imaginary tears from his eyes. On the other side of the massive executive desk, Vice President Chumpo Whiny clumsily sat, still laughing pretty hard, not one to stop laughing before his boss. He laughed so hard that he coughed and spluttered and tears streamed down his hollow cheeks.

‘Oh Chumpo…you never cease to surprise me,’ General Ratty said, sitting forward and placing his elbows on the desk. "You are my Vice President Chumpo; I’m sure you know that and I hope you see my point. Go out to that summit and tell those white people what they want to hear – that’s all. Where has your African wisdom gone, man? Do our people not say that a stranger should not peep under the bed of his host?’

‘Yes, my Lord. Very true, very true. Ah, me...I think I’m getting old…’

‘Ep!’ General Ratty cautioned, raising a forefinger in the air. ‘Be careful what you say, Chumpo. Vice President is a very heavy job and cannot be carried by old men. So…’

‘Oh yes, my Lord; I did not mean that…I’m sorry.’

‘The hell you are, Chumpo. Dismissed.’

‘Thank you, my Lord.’

Vice President Chumpo Whiny rose and bowing low to His Lordship, turned and shuffled humbly towards the door. The General’s unexpected call spun him on his feet.

‘My Lord?’

‘Chumpo, tell Mr. Whitehead I want him here. Now.’

‘Yes, my Lord.’

The phone beeped. General Ratty pressed a button.

‘Yes?’

‘Miss Junaina is here, Your Excellency,’ his personal secretary said.

‘Oh - show her in. And let Whitehead come back in two hours. No interruptions while Miss Junaina is in.’ He pressed the button again.

Presently, the door opened and a tall Arabic looking girl in her late teens sailed gracefully in, a dazzling smile on her lips. General Smoothface Ratty rose from his chair as she came in, spreading his arms and walking round the desk to meet her.

‘So you are Miss Junaina. Welcome, welcome. My good friend Tarik did say you are very beautiful and sure you are.’

The girl sailed into his open arms and he gave her a tight bear hug, held her by her tender shoulders and peered into her face.

‘Your Excellency. Nice to meet you,’ she said.

‘Oh yes, oh yes; please sit down.’

General Ratty propelled her to a sofa and sat down beside her, his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

‘Tarik tells me you are er – still a child?’ he said.

‘Yes, Your Excellency.’ The girl glanced at his face and dropped her gaze, shyly.

‘Well, well. That’s good. You know, we African leaders value children so much. And a man in my position needs a good relaxation once in a while. That’s why I have Tarik. It’s not easy to be a president you know. So much work, so much stress. But you will not regret coming here, my beautiful child. And how is your country? I was there last year and your president was - very generous – brother to brother, you know – ha ha ha.’

The girl giggled shyly. She seemed to be totally at ease, which did not quite match up to her claim of being a child. But then those in her trade know many tricks about being a child and becoming a child, over and over and over again, as the occasion demands. What is modern science and technology for? So long as there are good customers like His Excellency, well?

‘Well, I guess my good friend Tarik has told you what I expect?’ General Ratty said.

‘Yes, Your Excellency.’

‘Well, $20, 000 dollars is not a big price to pay for such a precious thing as childhood. But if you take extra good care of me you might be even happier. You know we African leaders are generous – very generous - in every way - ha, ha, ha. Anyway.’ He stood up. ‘Welcome again, Ms Junaina. Please go into that room and relax. I will be with you shortly.’ He pointed towards a door in the wall and the girl rose and gracefully sailed towards it, her tight seductive body aptly fine-tuned for the occasion. General Ratty followed her with greedy eyes, excitement rushing up his legs and pinching his fat trembling cheeks.

(To be continued)

-0-

Rights Of Neighbours In Islam

by Ibrahim Kromah

 In the name of Allah the Gracious, the Merciful.

I extend to you salutation of peace and praying for Allah’s guidance as you go through this piece of discourse. This piece of work aims at demonstrating that the holy religion of Islam constitutes a universal and eternal programme for human life in both worlds revealed to the most Noble Messenger (SAW) by God Most High. It is to be carried out in human society and to navigate the ship of humanity out of the whirlpool of ignorance and misfortune. Considering that religion is a programme for living, it must necessarily set forth a task for man in this regard that it expects him to carry out. Overall, our life has to do with three things: - (1). God Most High, whose creatures we are, to whose holy presence we must, above all, know our duties. 2). Ourselves. (3). Our fellow human beings, with whom we must live and co-operate. Accordingly, by this rule, we have three overall sets of duties: Toward God, toward ourselves and toward others. With regards to the present subject under discussion, we will look into the aspect of duties towards others. In other words we will discuss the rights and duties towards our neighbours. Before delving into the details, it is necessary however to understand what the terms ‘RIGHTS’ and ‘NEIGHBOUR’ are. By the term ‘RIGHTS’; it is the qualities (e.g. adherence to duty) that together constitute the ideal of moral conduct or merit, moral approval or in accordance with what is morally good, just or proper. And the term ‘NEIGHBOUR’; it is one living or situated near another; also a fellow human being. These definitions for the two terms are sufficient for our scope of discussion. The most Noble Messenger (SAW) has said, ‘Gabriel’ (i.e arch-angel) has so urged neighbours’ rights upon me that I have supposed that God Must High would include one’s neighbour among one’s heirs. He also said; ‘One who believes in God and the Resurrection will never vex his neighbour’. If he borrows from him, he returns the loan. He shares in the neighbour’s joys and sorrows. He must not trouble his neighbour , even if that person is an unbeliever. He has further said; ‘if someone vexes his neighbour , the scent of paradise will not reach his nostrils. If someone does not observe his neighbour’s rights, he is not one of us, and if some is full and knowing that his neighbour is hungry, offers him nothing, he is not a Muslim. And with regards to the definition of neighbour which denotes a fellow human being, the Most Noble Messenger has said. "One who starts a morning in a condition that he does not make effort about the affairs of the Muslims is not one of the Muslims. And a person who hears the voice of a man who calls the Muslims to his help but he does not respond to him, is not a Muslim". (BIHARUL -ANWAR Vol. 74. P339). Since neighbours proximity allows them to develop close ties and naturally makes them like a big family, a neighbour’s friendliness or animosity has more effect than that of other people. Someone who engages in nightlong revelry such as in birthday parties, wedding parties, naming ceremonies etc, in his home is not going to bother someone living on the other side of the town, but he will deny rest to his neighbour .A powerful man who spends his life carousing in his mansion will not upset poor people living far away, but he is fanning the flames of resentment in his indigent neighbour in his shack, and a day will come when he will pay for his behaviour.

For reasons like these, the holy law of Islam has strongly urged us to look after our neighbours’ interests. Imam Hassan (AS) the grandson of the Most Noble Messenger, (SAW), the second Holy Imam of the Most Noble Messenger’s Household (i.e. the Ahl-ul-Bait) (AS) said on the Friday night I saw my mother Fatima (AS) the daughter of the Most Noble Messenger (SAW), second infallible of Ahl-ul-Bait (AS) and leader of the women in paradise, standing in her arch of prayer. She was continuously kneeling and performing prostration till the dawn broke. I would hear her pray for the faithful men and women, but she did not at all pray for herself. I said, ‘Oh mother why did you prayed for others? So she replied; ‘Oh my son, first thy neighbour and thereafter your own house’. (BAIT UL AHZAN P22).

In this same vein, the sixth infallible and fourth holy Imam of Ahl-ul-Bait (AS). Imam Zain ul Abideen (AS) said; "Nevertheless, the right of your neighbour is this that you save and defend his honour during his absence and honour him in his presence and assist him when he gets oppressed and do not be after finding fault. So if you get informed regarding any thing bad and ugly about him then conceal it. And if you know that he will accept your admonition then admonish him in the matter, which is between you and him. And do not let him alone at the time of hardship and calamity and overlook his slips and forgive his fault. And have a good conduct and munificent social intercourse with him." (BIHAR UL-ANW AR Vol. 74 P7). And also the thirteen infallible and eleventh holy Imam, father of the twelfth Imam and fourteenth infallible, Imam Mohammad al- Mahdi who is presently in occultation and he is the Imam of the time (Imam-e-Asr), Imam Hassan al-Askari (AS) said; "The neighbour who conceals the good deed when he sees it and reveals if he sees a bad act, is from among the extreme and back breaking agonies".

(BIHAR UL-ANW AR Vol. 78 P372). Now one can clearly see that the rights of a neighbour in Islam goes along with duties that are to be carried out for the sake of God Most High. We would continue to understand right and duties toward our neighbours and fellow human beings as a whole in the light of the conduct of the Commander of the faithful whom history, the Holy Quran and Prophetic traditions bore testimonies of his excellent virtues, merits and high standard of faith second to none except the Most Noble Messenger (SAW), Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (AS), that one day Imam Ali (AS) was going to Kufa and happened to be met along the way by one man, a Jew who was also going to another place nearby. Since a part of their journey was common, they decided to travel together. As they were going, they started talking on various topics of mutual interest and ultimately reached a point they were to be separated. The Jew was surprised to see that Imam Ali (AS) did not take the way leading to Kufa instead accompanied him on the other path, where he (the Jew) was going. He then asked; well didn’t you say were going to Kufa? "Yes"-answered Imam Ali (AS). Then why are you coming this way? Imam Ali (AS) responded saying; "I want to walk a few steps with you to see you off. Because our Prophet has said; whenever two persons travel together on the same path, they establish reciprocal rights upon each other". Now you have got a right upon me and for the sake of that right of yours I wish to walk a few steps with you, and then of course, I shall return unto my own way. Then the Jew said; "Oh! Such an authority and power which is wielded among people in such a perfect way by your Prophet, and the amazing speed with which his religion has spread in the world, must be, I am sure, because of his such noble character. The surprise and admonition of Imam AH (AS) reached a high peak after knowing him to be the Caliph of that time and soon after the Jew embraced Islam and was counted among the most devout and self-sacrificing companions of Imam AH (AS).

It is worth mentioning another important event portrayed by the illuminating conduct of Imam AH (AS) towards others. One day Imam AH (AS) the leader of the faithful was passing through a lane and saw a beggar .Out of his concern for others, he enquired about the old man wanting to know the factors that led him to such a condition. The Imam (AS) asked whether he has no son to support him? Or is there no other way for him to live a respectable life in his old age? Then the people who knew him came forward and told Imam AH (AS) that he was a Christian and had worked hard so long when he was young and strong. Now that he lost his eyes and old, also not having savings resorted to begging. Imam Ali said; "Strange! They extracted work from him when he was strong and now that he is old, they left him on his own. The Imam (AS) knowing fully well he had worked when he had strength, declared; it is the duty of the Government and the society to support him as long as he is alive and that he should be given a life-pension from the state-treasury (Bait-ul-mal). What an illuminating character and deep concern for others in society regardless of being in the same religion. If we Muslims should carefully study the course of history of the Ahl-ul-Bait (AS) with regards to their existence and martyrdom, their role in religious and social matters, we will then be able to realize fully what Islam is in a more practical manner. If leaders and the rich can follow the footsteps of Imam AH (AS) in having concern for the indigent, the weak and the deprived neighbours in society, then humanity will blossom to its Zenith. If the Muslim nation should follow the true ideology of the pure Islam, which is based on "There is no god but Allah"; then for sure we will become the best people raised for the good of mankind (Quran 3: 110). May Allah guide us unto the right path.

Wa Salaam.

-0-

  Sports Journalists’ Seminar Tomorrow

As part of the drive to equip members with the techniques of football reporting and updating on the new rules of soccer game, The Gambia Sports Journalists Association (GSJA) is organising one-day seminar on Saturday 12th March 2005 at the GRTS conference room, MDI road.

The seminar, initially scheduled for last Saturday was postponed till tomorrow, as a result of the national clean up day (set settal). Almost 40 sports writers countrywide are expected to participate at the seminar, sponsored by the first vice-president of the Gambia Football Association (GFA) Seedy Buwa Kinteh.

The secretary of state for youth and sports, Hon Samba Faal is expected to perform the official opening ceremony with other dignitaries including Omar Sallah chairman of the National Sports Council, George Gomez, Executive Secretary Gambia National Olympic Committee, Donald Sock, Executive Secretary National Sports Council, Bora Mboge, Director General GRTS and Seedy Kinteh.

The topics to be discussed during the seminar are Rules Governing The African U-17 Championship by GFA representative, Football reporting by Peter Gomez, Lamin Cham, and Pap Saine, The Rules Of The Game by Badou Jassey chairman Gambia referees committee.

Meanwhile, at the end of the day, sports journalists would draw a code of conduct for themselves and recommendations would be formulated and send to the local organising committee of the U-17 championship to be held in Banjul from the 07th to the 21st May 2005.

GPA FC Gets New Executive

The managing director of The Gambia Ports Authority Mr. M.L Gibba finally approved, with immediate effect the appointment of a new executive committee to preside over the Ports Football Club. GPA FC is one of the country’s big clubs in the league.

During the inauguration of the committee at the GPA boardroom, the GPA managing director Mr. M.L Gibba said, he experts to see the team produce results, adding that the sky is the limit should they (the team) perform up to expectation. He called on GPA general staffs body to come and support the team. According to him "The team belongs to all of us and as a result we should all endeavour to give it the support and motivation it needed. This time we want to see results and I will make sure that my directors attend to our matches".

Gibba further appealed to the executive committee to inculcate in the teams a sense of good relationship and understanding.

The newly appointed president of the club, Mr. Mass Axi Gai thanked the managing director, Mr. M.L Gibba and his management for the confidence and trust in appointing them to oversee the affairs of the team. He however re-emphasized the need for more support from the management in order to run a smooth operation of the team.

The new executive, comprising the following people are expected to run for two years.

Mr. Mass Axi Gai-president

Mr. Ismaila Wadda-Treasurer

Mr. Buba Njie- Sec.- General

Mr. Abdoulie Njie-Team Manager

Mr. Arona Njie-Member

Mr. Ebrima J.T Kujabi-Member

Meanwhile, the executive’s vice president post would be filled at a subsequent date. Present at the inauguration were the Director Technical Service, Nicholas Blell, Director of Finance Mr. Abdoulie M. Tambedou and a cross section of the executive members.

In GFA Week 8

Bakau Derby On Sunday

The week eight of the GFA first division league would be marked on Sunday with the Bakau Derby between the league leaders Steve Biko FC and Bakau United at the Box Bar Mini-Stadium in Brikama.

The match is expected to draw many soccer fans and could be the turning point for the first round of the GFA league.

A victory for Steve Biko, could give them a comfortable position while a defeat could see them merged with other teams like Hawks and Gamtel.

A draw would still be favourable for Steve Biko.

Before the Bakau Derby, on Sunday in the first game, Real De Banjul would play Sait Matty.

On Saturday, Hawks would try to put behind their last week defeat against Steve Biko at their meeting with Gamtel in the first game on Saturday. But it appears Gamtel is ready to continue with their surprising results.

In the second game, Wallidan without Yankuba Ceesay and Lamarana Jallow will face Kaira Silo of New Jeshwang.

Today Friday, the two bottom teams Armed Forces and GPA will meet in the week 8 opener.

Gambian Golfer Stages Tourney

The Gambian number one golfer, Fakebba Drammeh alias Tiger Woods last Sunday organised one-day local Pro-AM golf tournament at the Kololi Beach Hotel Golf resort.

The tournament, one of its kind gathered golfers from other Hotels, Fajara club, Resident of Kololi Beach Hotel members and guests, to make the event a successful one.

Among the professionals present were Alhagie Drammeh, Lamin Darboe, Bakary Touray and two young stars Dudou Gassama (Campo) and Lamin Drammeh (Lamboy) all from the Fajara golf club.

The overall amateur winner was Ron Monte from the Senegambia Beach Hotel with a net score of 42 while Ingvar Grunsten became the Men’s winner with a net score of 45.

The ladies’ winner is Carolyn Brown from Kololi with a net score of 51 while Hon Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay from Fajara club captured the Runner up position from a count back to Majorie Healey of Kololi Beach with the same score of 52 net.

Bakary Touray was the professional winner also from a count back of the same score of 59 with Lamin Drammeh (Lamboy) who came as pro-runner up.

Miran Park was the junior winner.

The most "golfer prize" went to Mr. Marshall Hall of Kololi Beach Hotel with a net score of 64.

It was a colourful day. At the end of the game consolation prizes were given out to other winners and competitors.

-0-

 Steve Biko Tops The League, As Armed Forces Bounce Back

The Bakau giant Steve Biko FC, last Saturday became the solo leader of the ongoing GFA first division league after beating the "Red Devils" of Hawks FC 1-0 at the Box Bar Mini Stadium in Brikama.

The match, which was well-contested, drew lot of soccer fans from Brikama as well as Banjul, Serrekunda and Bakau.

Steve Biko dominated the first half resulting to their lone goal.

Hawks FC came back in the second half with the entry of Dawda Bah, who gave more striking force to coach Sang Ndong’s team.

But Steve Biko was able to maintain their lead up to the end.

The victory gave them 14 points and is now three points clear from the second placeholders Gamtel and Hawks.

Earlier on Friday, Armed Forces FC ended their long-standing frustrations with a 1-0 victory over Gamtel FC.

That victory was the first for Armed Forces since the beginning of the 2004-2005-football league.

In the second game on Saturday, Kaira Silo of New Jeshwang continued with their good running in the league by holding GPA in a 1-1 draw. GPA first opened the score in the first half and later Kaira Silo leveled up the scores.

On Sunday Bakau United drew goalless with Africell- Sait Matty.

The encounter between the two archrivals, Real De Banjul and Wallidan ended goalless.

The only noted point in the game was when the two Wallidan top players Yankuba Ceesay (Maal) and Lamarana Jallow were sent out.

On the table, Biko have 14 points, followed by Hawks and Gamtel with 11points each.

Kaira Silo, Real De Banjul, Wallidan and Bakau United have 9 points each.

Sait Matty got 6 points and at the bottom of the table were Armed Forces and GPA.

-0-

 Amid Allegations of Journalists Being Intimidated, Another Police Harassment

Momodou Gassama, a Journalist reporting for The Independent newspaper was last Tuesday assaulted and detained by the Police at the Kanifing Estate Police Post.

Narrating his ordeal, Gassama, said he was allegedly subjected to torture by one First Class Constable 258, who was on duty at the National Training Authority (NTA), where he went to investigate a stroy relating to the closure of MJK Plus Computer Centre.

According to Gassama, he was whisked off to the Kanifing Police Post, where another drama awaited him, as he was forced to write his statement and thumbprint the piece, without putting his signature on the letters.

He said the problem stemmed from an ultimatum issued by the National Training Authority that MJK Plus Computer Centre should be put out of operation, together with its new telecentre annexed to the complex.

Following the tip-off, Momodou Gassama, put his investigation machinery into motion to write an exposition on the issue, which landed him in trouble, as he tried every means possible to balance the story in order to get the other side of the story.

It was during the course of his investigation that Police constable 258 Abdou Bojang, reportedly emerged and rained insults on our reporter.. Gassama explained that he was forcibly dragged by the Police Constable, who scolded him and punched one side of his body.

Instantly, he indicated "I was whisked away to the Police, where I was put into a tiny cell to join other bunch of inmates amidst threats on my personal life".

-0-

 In Suspected IRA Trial, CID Officer Testifies In Court

by Lamin Njie

The hearing into the trial of the suspected Irish national, Cathal Omoalian, 58, last week Wednesday continued at the Brikama Magistrate Court.

In his testimony, Mr. Lamin Danso, a CID officer attached to the Brikama Police Station, said while on duty in 2004, one Mbemba Camara was intercepted by the Police at the Mandinaba Police Station, where he was screened and a false Gambian ID Card found on him. Consequent upon which he was brought to the Brikama Police Station and later to the CID office, where he was questioned by him on how he got the ID card.

He further narrated that he (Mbemba) told him that his mother assisted him to secure the ID card. He stated that he personally knows the person who helped his mother to get one, namely Mr. Drammeh, the first accused.

Acting on the information, Danso said he and Corporal Haruna Sonko were led by Mbemba to Drammeh’s compound where he was found and arrested: His premises searched and birth certificates were also found in his possession.

According to Danso, Drammeh was also questioned about the scanned ID in Mbemba’s possession, which he said Bubacarr, the second accused help him to process the documentation.

CID Lamin Danso also stated that the accused persons: Momodou Drammeh and Bubacarr Bah, have indicated that they were each charged for D300 – D350 per ID Card, respectively.

Danso told the court that Bubacarr informed them that he had an Irish friend who assisted him in the process, by using a scanner. He said following the tip-off, the third accused (Cathal Omoalian) was also arrested at his Kerr-Serign house, where a scanning machine, a bag containing sensitive documents; and a picture of Osama Bin Ladin and a sketch plan of Banjul International Airport were discovered.

Both documents were tendered at the court as exhibits, to which the three accused persons did not object.

The CID operative further stated that the Irish national told him that he got the documents from the Internet, since he (Cathal) used to work with one airline as a security agent. According to CID Danso, Cathal indicated that he has no passport and working permit on him and that his only passport was with one white man.

On how he pays for his room he said he rents at Bakadaji, "through contacts", Danso stated.The case continues on a later date.

It could be recalled that both accused persons were charged with conspiracy to commit felony, contrary to section 368 of Criminal Code and 320 (a) of the Criminal Code respectively.

-0-

Women Still Remain Marginalised

by Fatou Badjie

 The poverty of Women is directly related to the absence of economic opportunities and resources, including credit, land ownership, and inheritance, as well as minimal participation in the decision-making process, according to Oury Traore, Senior Legal Officer at The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA).

Speaking at a forum designed to recognise International Women’s Day (8th March) at the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies, Senegambia, under the thematic of "Reducing the income poverty of women," Oury Traore revealed that in all countries, women rarely hold more than 1 to 2% of the executive positions.

"They occupy only 14% of the managerial and administrative jobs. And they make up less than 5 percent of the world’s heads of state, major corporations, and international organisations," she indicated.

Quoting from the Human Development Report, 1997, she said "gender equality needs to be part of every country’s strategy for eradicating poverty, both as an end and as a means to eradicating other forms of human poverty: Meaning focusing clearly on eradicating discrimination against girls; empowering women by ensuring equal rights and access to land, credit and job opportunities, and a creative commitment to gender equality".

On his part, the legal officer of the African Centre on Democracy and Human Rights Studies, Emmanuel Joof, talked on the constitutional provisions relating to women’s rights, stating that section 28 (1) indicates that women shall be accorded full and equal dignity of the person with men; and that section 28 (2), indicates that women shall have the right to equal treatment with men; including equal opportunities in political, economic and social activities.

He further accentuated that it is sad that most cultures have reduced the role of women to nothing other than domestic drudges and bearers of children, who have no role to play in the decision making processes.

-0-

CRS In Support Programmes, Lays The Foundation Stone

 On Saturday 5 March 2005 at 5pm, the 40th Year Anniversary of Catholic Relief Service in The Gambia, is being celebrated by the Laying of the Foundation Stone for the new office building, a collaborative project with the Diocese of Banjul.

Marking the milestone are guests of Honour, Catholic Relief Services Regional Director, Mr. Bill Ratesster, together with His Lordship Michael Cleary of the Diocese of Banjul.

On his five day visit to The Gambia for the 40th Anniversary celebrations, Mr. Rastetter is visiting CRS projects and meeting the staff and partners of the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) country programme, explained Mr. Benjamin Safari, the Acting Country Representative of CRS /The Gambia.

"The CRS staff are delighted that Mr. Rastetter is here for the celebration, to be involved in the daily activities and plans for the future," commented Mr. Safari.

Catholic Relief Services is recognised as one of the most effective and efficient relief and development agencies in the world. The CRS mission is to remove all forms of injustices, alleviate poverty and promote sustainable food security by providing assistance to -and advocacy for -the poorest of the poor. In The Gambia, CRS is working in the fields of Agriculture, Sesame, Health, Peace-building and emergency assistance.

Over the past year the CRS programme has made tremendous growth both in terms of staffing and programming. There are 10 new staff members and CRS has further developed the health and agriculture programmes. There are now 60 staff members and 2 international staff in the Banjul office, where meetings and workshops with partners are common place. The extra staff members and additional project partners have increased the requirement for more space and up-graded facilities.

"Everyone at CRS is very excited about the building project, we are looking forward to working in a modern and spacious office environment. We are all extremely grateful," stated Mr. Safari.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤