Eke,

Football is one of my passions. I also have a Nigerian Team I "love." It's called IICC. "Ai, Ai Shee Shee" of Ibadan. What's happening to them? I also used to admire Enugu Rangers a lot because one of the best players produced by my pet club Accra Hearts of Oak, Christian Madus, went to play for them after leaving Hearts of Oak. We nicknamed him "Gabo." I learnt he even played for the Nigerian National Team. While playing for Hearts we didn't know he was a Nigerian. I was in Lagos in 1975 when he came to play at the Surulere Stadium for Accra Great Olympics against Enugu Rangers. Although Enugu Rangers beat Accra Great Olympics Christian Madus was the best player of the day. His name was on everybody's slips the next day. I was proud to be a Ghanaian, although the Ghanaian Team lost. No doubt Enugu Rangers quickly bought him when they got to know he was a Nigerian. But he didn't initially want to relocate to Nigeria. He loved Ghana.

And do you know there is a Ghanaian player in Enyimba? He's also made history. Two Golds in two years. I think the name is Joe Tex Frimpong.

Glad you admire Ghanaian players. Abdul Razak was great. I also admire "Mr. Mathematical" Segun Odegbami. And the new crop Celestine Babayaro, Augustine and the one who somersaults anytime he scores a goal. The name has just escaped me.

Your bit about player poaching is very valid. We can't stop them from joining the chase for Dollars in Europe and elsewhere. But there are a lot of local talents. The team that is able to quickly blend the new chips with the old ones will grab the Golden Fleece. Kotoko, I just learnt is fortifying its team with three players from Brazil and two from Europe. Those from Europe are Ghanaians but those from Brazil are Brazilians. Footbal is now big business and Teams must invest in their most valuable assets - the players.

Have a nice day.

Devine

Kelechi Eke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Come o... Devine, you de follow dis thing well well o.  I beg keep us posted with the CAF result.  I have been a fan of Asante Kotoko from the days of Mr. Abdul Razak in the 80s.  So I will be rooting for them - especially since they were strong enough to eliminate my beloved Rangers despite losing 2 - 1 in October at Enugu.

I hope that Hearts' experience can teach us that we do not need foreign coaches to manage our raw talents.  Nuff Respect to Sir Attuquayefio but Coach Emordi is already aiming for a hat-trick with Enyimba next year.  We are looking beyond being the first to win it three in a row - we would like Enyimba to represent Africa in the Fifa World Club Championship...laughs...

One thing that Enyimba and (Kotoko or Hearts) have to deal with next year is stability.  It is certain that with their performance and exposure, they will each lose good players to foreign clubs.  It is a good thing for the players but it makes it difficult for our local clubs to repeat being champions the following year since they would be busy rebuilding the team.

As far as Champions of Champions.... Enyimba all the way :=)

KC

Devine Akabutu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Congrats to Enyimba. History has been made. But get ready for a good roasting next year from Accra Hearts Of Oak and Kumasi Asante Kotoko of Ghana. The team you beat Etoile de Sahel only got through to the last 8 after narrowly beating Accra Hearts of Oak through the Penalty Rule. That was even when Hearts had a foreign Coach (German) who could not properly mould the team into a winsome side. Now we have Sir Jones Attuquayefio (Africa's Best Coach in 2000) who took Hearts to their 2000 African Clubs Triumphs, back in the saddle. Jones is a Winner. So Watch Out!  And don't forget Asante Kotoko also just edged out Enugu Rangers in the other Competition - the CAF Cup to set up a final date with Accra Hearts of Oak. Matches should have been played last two weerks but were postponed for the Ghana Elections as tension was building up. For the first time in the history of African Football two teams from the same country are vying for an African Clubs Cup. Accra Hearts of Oak vrs. Kumasi Asante Kotoko for the CAF Finals. They will play in Accra first and then in Kumasi a week later. will tell you of the result.

If the Champions Of Champions is not cancelled expect to meet one of these two teams. Enyimba vrs. Accra Hearts of Oak or Kumasi Asante Kotoko.

Devine

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! – What will yours do?

Do you Yahoo!?