Hey, Ralph

Serpentine has been used here in the Philadelphia area.  Perhaps most notably at the University of Pennsylvania's College Hall.  They did a big restoration project there a few years ago; as I recall they formulated some sort of composite for patching.  I haven't looked at it in a while, but as an incidental passerby, it looks appropriately green.  I have seen several rowhouses around here with Serpentine facades.  I'm sure there are plenty more that we can't see due to the stucco that folks have slapped over the stone.  They just stuccoed over one at 41st & Walnut here in Philly - home of a "Goodfellas" restaurant.  The food isn't bad, particularly for the price.  But I digress...

There are also some examples in Wilmington, Delaware.  There is a great serpentine church down there, which has since lost its serpentine parish house.   I think once you get out of the piedmont, the serpentine, like other stone, gets increasingly rare. I have to say, I like the stuff.  Although it's not the most stable material, it's a nice visual break from all the red brick around here.

 - Johnette