Brad,

The problem I have with that approach is that some churches throw the organ out the window altogether.  Contrary to your statement, pipe organs have been around for centuries and have been an integral part of church worship for a long time.  It distresses me to see all that eroding in the name of being contemporary and "in touch," whatever that means.

Julie, the organist

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: BD
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 8:56 AM
  Subject: Re: response to Brad about our church visit

  Kathy,

  No need to apologize. My bad experiences as a kid growing up in a parochial
  environment ought not flavor my perception of today's denominational
  churches either as things have changed a great deal in that regard and for
  that I do apologize. We use to bring some of the older hymns to the worship
  service at COTR, granted much of the worship was more contemporary but
  there was always songs of more meaning mixed with the simple choruses. I
  think what makes the difference with hymns is to use the beautiful and
  detailed lyrics and melody and structure but  make it more singable with
  more instruments than pipe organ. Even in the traditional days they had
  many instruments, and Wurlitzer or whatever company makes the pipe organs
  wasn't yet a company hehehe.

  Brad