Zabludow Synagogue Project

I have not been at the beach, but I have been busy. Come to think of it
I can hear the beach from the house.

First was attending a workshop in Bialystok and the Podlaskie region of
Poland pertaining to the Zabludow synagogue project for about 12 days.
Then attending IPTW 2003 in Columbia, MD. Where I mostly confered with
the masons and fellow PTN members. And after several years of
involvement stepped back from the PTN board to make room for a few fresh
faces and kindred spirits. For me it was the best IPTW ever because I
actually got to sit in on a few sessions.
Then attending the Timber Framers Guild Eastern conference in
Montebello, Quebec, Canada.
Along the way I also became a member of the International Log Builder's
Association. I am learning the difference between bark and hewing.
Spent a bit of time in Southampton, LI before going to Poland, playing
with bricks. Waiting for the hurricane that did not show.
Spent some time mucking around in Manhattan on a bit of work here and there.
Did a talk with Derek Trelstad for Misia Leonard's students at her CCNY
preservation/architecture class. Lisa Sasser did a talk too, but on a
different day.
Finally got the office in Mastic Beach working. Quit fighting with the
computers. I won. The heat is on and the plumbing works.
We had a dog die, and last week we got ourselves a new puppy that is
driving us all nuts. A black and white Border Collie X, his name is Mud
Spill.
One of my flash stories came up #2 out of the top 3 rated on the
Zoetrope website for September, Mohammed in America. It will eventually
be published online by Web Del Sol <http://webdelsol.com/> which is a
pretty good score for an online lit mag.
I have been making a map of New York State for my Railroad Tycoon 3 game.
I am looking for ONE stone <www.precon-logstrat.com>. You can read about
it in the latest Traditional Building magazine under the PTN newsletter.
I am also looking for 5,000 trees.

And, as of Friday afternoon, PCLS is in the position of facilitator of
the Canadian/American wing of the interim international steering
committee for the Zabludow synagogue project.
Svante seems to be pleased... he built the frame and now I'm to help
paint the picture.

This does a few things that I care about:

    I am working with people that I like. A whole lot of people that I like.
    If I am fortunate I will be paid for working to realize the dreams
of my friends.
    I am taking a step away from years of dependency on the NYC building
stock. I don't commute so much any more.
    I continue to work with my son -- who has been keeping me on the
straight as far as me chasing my dreams.
    Poland is an amazing country full of amazing people and I might get
to go back there again.

I spent my Thanksgiving weekend hiding out and reading about Manifest
Destiny. (I put Popper's Open Society down for a breather.)

Today it is Monday and I am working.

][<en