Sandra-is  your son anaphylatic to both milk and soy? If so, I think some soy allergic people have a problem with the mono and di glycerides in the Fleishman's milk free margarine (and most margarines.)

I've used Spectrum's Natural Organic Shortening - only ingredient is palm oil.  I've only baked with it but I know some people on the soy forum put it on toast-it's white.  Look for this in Whole Foods and other health food stores.

Jeane (I don't usually respond to this list because I'm intoleranct to dairy/soy/gluten/legumes/corn/eggs.)  Just dairy and soy are still very tough to avoid.