Joe,

The issues you raised here are very important looking at the developments in Ivory Coast. It was Anti-Burkinabe sentiments that was used before the country becomes what it is today. When i read your article it refresh my mine about the Ivorian crisis.

One has to look at this deeper than just a soccer match or Senegalese arrogancy. The tension between the two countries has been going on since Jammeh's involvement in the Cassamance crisis. Desperate and destitute people always fine people to blame for their hardship. It is unfortunate that this has to happen but i hope that both the Senegalese and the Gambians will  cold this down.

I was very disturbed by Pierre's and Edi's article because if every Gambian or Senegalese thinks like that then we are in for a war. If  the institutions and systems that are suppose to assist and protect people are dead, repression becomes the order of the day, these sentiments are likely to manifest itself as we are seeing now.

I quite agree with you that these are all signs of  hardship Jammeh has put the Gambian people through.  We cannot seperate this from the political, economic and social crisis facing both countries. One has to put on a different lens to really understand the factors underpining such a reactions.

I don't think there is any Gambian or Senegalese who do not have a relative or family in Gambia. So, we have to be very careful about how we go about this unfortunate situation.

The Struggle Continues!!

Ndey Jobarteh

It's fast, it's fun and it's free! Click here to download MSN Messenger. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~