-----Original Message-----
From: maybe this could fall apart after the checks clear [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Met History
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 8:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Interim rule #4
In a message dated 10/28/02, [log in to unmask] writes:

Sign me, dan who has a rule to add to the list of rules which is to use
plain text for email which is a plain text medium and save the html crap
for the world wide web where it belongs becker

Explain plain text vs. html for us aol newbies.  Sign me,  Remington Rand

Your post is in html... "hyper text markup language" ...which is the code that converts electrons into web page format. Allows you to create vertical blue lines and blue text, or to format your TEXT, etc. It is ponderous, clunky, and is hard for those of us that are properly using plain text to process and reply. What you don't see in your email is all the formatting code that renders what you see on your monitor. It's resource intensive, and makes your emails much larger than they need to be, which of course costs David down under money to download because in other parts of the world, they don't get flat rate internet service, they pay for bandwidth used. And html email eats up bandwidth, for no good reason...it does not impart any additional information to text.

Microsoft started all of this with Outlook, and it's just gotten worse from there.

Plain text is ASCII standard, basically the original format for electronic text, and is just that: plain. No bells, no whistles, it just gives you the goods: the letters needed to read the words.

Somewhere I hope in your AOL settings for email, there is an option to choose plain text. Please do so. And so should the rest of you who are using html mail, ]<en.

We thank you for your kind indulgences.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.    "Oh joy!  Rapture!  Now
Raleigh Historic            I have a brain!"
Districts Commission                   - Scarecrow
919/890-3678