Elizabeth,
Thanks for bringing up this interesting,touchy and sad piece.However, comparing Africa and Asia, both have their share on the disadvantage you have mentioned such as greeds, corruption and mismanagement just to point out few. The difference in these acts are the fact that in must of the Asian countries, people who engage themself in such activities are not left un-punish therefore, others will not follow suit.Unlike Africa particularly the Gambia, ministers and other high civil servants are always above the law in a sense that, they gain no other punishment than simple stripping off posts and live them driving marcedise bense ect.

Africa is rich with lots of natural resources and manpower yet we are the poorest continent in the world just like Rusia in Europe.This is really hard to believe. As you said, the African politicians are politicizing for their own good instead of that of the general public. Since Gambia gain independents, Our politicians have been so selfishly full of greed corruption and mismanagement of the public fund which added fuel to the fire and end up deteriarating our progresses.

But the question here is, will the insult, haterates removed them from power? "maybe" but I will remain skeptic on that hence I for one, think it plays a big part in our backwardness and blind us toward paving ways to successful progressiveness. We African particularly Gambians should stop standing on the plateform like our old politician insulting each other with no significant agenda to helping the situations on the ground, but to think significantly and intillegently of means and ways to come to terms with our internal problems. Anger on the other hand, will never bring unity but distruction.

We are all aware of the fact that things are all not going well back home, but for the sake of democracy, we will have to be intellegent enough and use the authority politically to do better than insulting and getting angry creating more headach for ourselves.

Once more sister keep things up and have a good night

Edi

Better now than ever > cooperation and understanding featuring better Gambia and willingness of her people to commit intellectually

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~