In a message dated 8/16/02 8:49:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

You mean the sand grows legs? Any idea how far it will walk? Do we know what causes this?

Steve,

What time late last night did you say you were born? It walks as far as the asshole can carry it, or until he can sell it to some other scumbag with a truck. What causes this is capitalism at its finest.

A stonesetting crew with whom I was working (I think on the fabled Brooklyn Borough Hall) had been on some big public bldg (I seem to remember it was the Port Authority in NY) where a HUGE (2' x 2' x 6' or some such) piece of stone, that the crew with their derricks and hand trucks could barely move, grew legs and disappeared.  What anybody thought they were going to do with this stone, or how in God's name they were able to move it, was a mystery.

Ralph

Ralph