Message
Thanks, Anna.

Rose
-----Original Message-----
From: Anna [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 9:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interested in knowing how your library is using assistive technology

Hi, Everyone!

We are neophytes--just getting started.  So far, we have purchased an ergonomic workstation and an Aaron chair to go with it and are awaiting the "imminent" arrival of a computer with alternative peripherals, such as a special ergonomic keyboard and mouse.  Our funding so far has been from the general library and information technology sources, but we have plans to apply for some mini-grants (not sure of the source(s) yet) and apparently can order small items through a catalog, such as earphones, text magnifiers and home page readers, paid for by some in-house budget.  We are selecting very slowly and carefully, assisted by our guru Jim Knox, who directs the Adaptive Technology Sites located in two other libraries in other areas of our rather decentralized campus, and by Susan Beck, of this listserv, whose help has been invaluable.  We believe that it is high time that we provided assistive technology to those faculty/staff/students, etc. located in and near the medical center area, so that is clearly our mission right now, and we are taking it very seriously.  We hope that our medical library can eventually serve as a model that will encourage other libraries to acquire special equipment for special needs.

Anna Ercoli Schnitzer
Information Services Librarian
Taubman Medical Library
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor Mi
"Nelson, Rose" wrote:

Hello All,

I am preparing a presentation on assitive technology in libraries.  One of the topics I would like to address is how libraries are acquiring and using assistive technology and what are some of the issues/challenges in making services available to those with disabilities.  I was hoping that you might be able to help me by answering the following questions.

What types of adaptive technology is your library using?  (you can just list the general types of items like screen reading software, voice recognition software, etc....

What are some of the challenges you have with assistive technology? (examples might be lack of use, costs of equipment, PR, etc...)

How were you able to budget for this type of technology?  (examples might include grants, line item in budget, part of tech budget, leveraging of other funds--e-rate)

What suggestions would you give other libraries that are in the process of integrating assistive technology into their exsisting services?

It would be great if I could get responses by August 2nd.  I realize this is short notice, so whatever you can contribute is wonderful!

Thanks in advance!

Rose

Rose Nelson
Technology Consultant