In a message dated 6/1/2002 9:50:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> but was the secretary story Charlie telling about the secretaries rumor or
> straight goods?

Michael,

Public knowledge at the time in the hinterlands of NY State was that Nelson
went out in the saddle. I never particularly liked him. A 15 yr old I knew, a
younger son of Alison Lurie/Bishop, was facing life for selling three tabs of
acid to a narc -- the Nelson legacy. I have never found out how that turned
out. The architectural monstrosity of Empire Plaza in Albany puts me off
something terrible. It always reminds me of Mussolini. I understand Purchase
College, which was designed to allow tanks to roll through uninhibited lest
there be a campus riot, was built of brick because Nelson owned the
brickyards. The sculpture placement at the gardens at Kykiut I admire. My
grandfather worked for Standard Oil for many years. His father worked the
railroad that thrived on Western NY oil. I don't think any of them early
Rockefellers killed my people, but they sure had an effect on their lives. On
occasion we work for some of the younger generation, they are decent people
and pay their bills.

][<en