Fellow Gambians,

As we ponder over what to make of the many conflicting reports of what prevails in our dear country, I wish to give a slightly different interpretation of how I see things living here. Mine might perhaps not be the best litmus test of how things are but it would atleast be the truth from where I am.

First and foremost I would like to make it very clear that the objective of this piece is to show Gambians in the Diaspora what the government and people living here are trying to do to alleviate our situation. People can grumble about this and that but the bottom line is that aid to the under-developed nations is falling very rapidly and despite anything any thirdworld country does, the value of your currency is predominantly determined by what speculators in the first world think of it. Our currency, like the south African Rand, Zimbabwean Dollar or Nigerian Naira can only rally against the US Dollar to a certain degree. We do not have much to bargain with, as we hardly produce anything that can be taken as remotely important to the outside world. What we do have however, is our resolve to improve our lot come what may. This is our reality!!! No grumbling will change or solve this basic problem of trying to survive in a world where most people have lost hope and people do not generally care that much for their fellow human beings.

Now to the gist of this piece. If you folks recall, I mentioned a trip I made to Germany a couple of weeks ago and hinted what Gamtel was planning to do in terms of developing telecommunications in the country to meet the expectations of all Gambians and particularly in helping facilitate the conduct of business in our country. I am please to announce that the first phase of our planned activities for the year has been successfully negotiated and a contract signed for its implementation. This phase involves the laying of 350 Km of fibre-optic cable from Basse across the river and following the Passimass road and Lamin koto to Farafeni road and Fara feni to Barra road and terminating it at Barra. A digital microwave link would then complete the loop to Banjul. The capacity, all the way, would be an SDH-STM-4. Drop-Insert stations would be created in all the major towns and villages on this route and their satelites villages connected to our national network through them. This fibre-optic cable would also be extended to wellingara, in Senegal, to further secure it and provide the necessary redundancy for communications in the country.

In addition to this, a wireless local loop (WLL) network would be deployed throughout the country to connect all major villages that are not close to either the south bank or north bank fibre cables. Over a hundred villages and towns that have never had any service would benefit from this project. Our entire network would also be rehabilitated to ensure that call completeion is enhanced and hopefully catapult us to the status of being the number one telecommunications company in Africa again. For those who do not know, we have been rated among the top three in Africa for over fifteen (15) years now, only ever surpassed by South Africa and Botswana. We are also reviewing the scope of works for the additional development of our network to meet the expectations of all stakeholders. When this is finalised and the project launched, you would all be informed.

Other important developments that have taken place in our country recently include the arrival of a new Ferry from Holland where it was being constructed over the past ten months. It joins "Barra" and "Banjul" ferries which cannot cope with the traffic between Banjul and Barra any more. According to the Managing Director of GPA, plans are at an advance stage for the purchase of two additional ferries to add to their fleet. It would be recalled also that one other ferry is being constructed in Ukraine and this is expected to be delivered early next year.

Finally, I am also happy to report that the foundation stone of a US $7 million fisheries project was last week laid by her excellency the vice president, Mrs. Isatou Njie Saidy. This project, a grant from the Japanese government, is to implemented in the fishing village of Kombo Gunjur and is expected to create hundreds of jobs for Gambians. This plant is expected to be processing about 30,000 metric tonnes of fish for export to Europe, America and other countries in the sub-region.

Have a good day, Gassa.

PS: Lest I forget, the Tanje Fisheries plant is reported to be used by more Gambians, particularly unemployed youths under the auspices of village development committes and the National Youth Service Scheme (NYSS). It is reported to have made an operating profit of about D600,000.00 during the first six months of its existence.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-