From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: Astrobrd
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:01:04 EDT
Subject: Re: FW: [cshcn-l] Delivering on the Promise--New Freedom Initiative Full Repo...
To: [log in to unmask]

--part2_16d.baf0504.29e1c740_boundary

In a message dated 4/7/2002 8:20:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I suppose Corning Tower is an institutional housing for disabled people,
> right?

The Corning Tower is a 41 story office building.  You can see a picture of it
if you like.

http://www.lodestone.org/users/maria/nya/a/a05.html

Kat, what I'm going to say is not directed at you or anyone in particular.
This is just my feeling about the subject of this kind of protesting in
general:

Forty one floors filled with people who's lives were endangered, and whose
psychological health was damaged.  Excuse me, further damaged (ref: Sept 11
incident).  Nothing happen, unless you count some people wondering if the
protesters were carrying weapons, bombs, or what the hell else now is
happening in New York, will I ever see my children again, etc.

Nothing but a little domestic terrorism happened that day...in New York.

One of the buildings they have protested in DC has a day care center.  The
last protest there that I am awere of saw protesters positioned precisely at
the location where parents drop off and retrieve their children, not to
mention the primary means of egress that an estimated (NFPA life safety code
reference) 50% (well over 50%, in my estimation, knowing the layout of that
building) of the building occupants will use in the event of a need for
emergency evacuation.

Every group has its extremists.  Ours are going to cost us a lot by
continuing with this tactic after September 11.  I didn't have anything good
to say for that kind of garbage before Sept 11.

The founding documents of the United States provides us with the legal right
to assemble peacably.  We have the opportunity to gather in large numbers to
make our point, if we feel that we need to do that, without making anyone
feel threatened.

> One reason Bush wants to do away with institutional housing for disabled is
> because it's cheaper to have people live on their own in the community.  I
> am all for independence but not at the expense of needed resources.  I fear
> that once this comes about, it will become much more difficult to get
> funding for aides, etc., especially since Social Security won't be around
> forever  unless the government finds ways to cut the expenses draining the
> pool or bolster contributions to the fund.
>
> Kat

  Agreed.  So where do we go from here?  I'm not being sarcastic.  What's the
best course of action for us to take?

--part2_16d.baf0504.29e1c740_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/7/2002 8:20:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I suppose Corning Tower is an institutional housing for disabled people,<BR>
right?<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
The Corning Tower is a 41 story office building.&nbsp; You can see a picture of it if you like.<BR>
<BR>
http://www.lodestone.org/users/maria/nya/a/a05.html<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Kat, what I'm going to say is not directed at you or anyone in particular.&nbsp; This is just my feeling about the subject of this kind of protesting in general:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Forty one floors filled with people who's lives were endangered, and whose psychological health was damaged.&nbsp; Excuse me, further damaged (ref: Sept 11 incident).&nbsp; Nothing happen, unless you count some people wondering if the protesters were carrying weapons, bombs, or what the hell else now is happening in New York, will I ever see my children again, etc. <BR>
<BR>
Nothing but a little domestic terrorism happened that day...in New York.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
One of the buildings they have protested in DC has a day care center.&nbsp; The last protest there that I am awere of saw protesters positioned precisely at the location where parents drop off and retrieve their children, not to mention the primary means of egress that an estimated (NFPA life safety code reference) 50% (well over 50%, in my estimation, knowing the layout of that building) of the building occupants will use in the event of a need for emergency evacuation.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Every group has its extremists.&nbsp; Ours are going to cost us a lot by continuing with this tactic after September 11.&nbsp; I didn't have anything good to say for that kind of garbage before Sept 11.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
The founding documents of the United States provides us with the legal right to assemble peacably.&nbsp; We have the opportunity to gather in large numbers to make our point, if we feel that we need to do that, without making anyone feel threatened.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">One reason Bush wants to do away with institutional housing for disabled is<BR>
because it's cheaper to have people live on their own in the community.&nbsp; I<BR>
am all for independence but not at the expense of needed resources.&nbsp; I fear<BR>
that once this comes about, it will become much more difficult to get<BR>
funding for aides, etc., especially since Social Security won't be around<BR>
forever&nbsp; unless the government finds ways to cut the expenses draining the<BR>
pool or bolster contributions to the fund.<BR>
<BR>
Kat<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp; Agreed.&nbsp; So where do we go from here?&nbsp; I'm not being sarcastic.&nbsp; What's the best course of action for us to take?&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>

--part2_16d.baf0504.29e1c740_boundary--