Brian,

     Thanks, for your response.  To answer your questions; I am using Win98 OS.  I have established a workgroup and user names for both computers. I have also, activated NetBUI with file and printer sharing for both PC's. I intend to establish internet sharing (with modem), but was trying to confirm that the two PC's could see each other before changing the setting that would allow this to occur.  When I right click Network Neighborhood and use "Find Computer"  I am not reading the other PC (which is turned on and is ready for browsing).  Since this type of setup is a  first for me, I'm not aware of all the things that could cause a connection failure.  I suspect the Cat5 may be an issue (how I'm not sure) and my NIC drivers hopefully are the correct updates, as 3Com Support groups several 905 versions together, which adds to the confusion.  I was not sure about the LED's on the back of the NIC, but from what I have been told these light up when the ethernet cards are successfully sending/receiving data.  If you have any suggestions, please share.     Thanks, Ron