In a message dated 3/13/2002 12:56:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:.

I was recently asked what could be done in a remedial manner to retrofit a 40' high travertine panel wall (1-1/4 thickness panels) in which structural steel studs, with a non-waterproofed layer of exterior (?) sheetrock, form the backup with the anchors being a ferrous disk (not stainless), now rusting and popping shards of the stone and thus reducing the integrity of the wall, with a dog-leg from the disk welded to the steel stud, we hope it is welded. This was over the phone long distance from Dallas for a VERY fancy up-scale shopping mall establishment at a non-disclosed ex-urban location near enough to all of us. After contempleting the faxed sketch for several nano-seconds, grunting a few times, a healthy pause of contemplation, I broke down and asked if they had considered the availability of a structural duct tape.

I'm still on the project, and we still do not have a convenient solution.

][<en,

I don't think you're going to find a convenient solution to THIS problem.  But unless the solution includes demolition of the existing sheetrock and travertine, as we say in Joisey,  fuhgeddaboutit.

If any of us live or shop within 1000 miles of this place, would you kindly warn us to stay the hell away, with our without hardhats?  And certainly stay away with your friend the bldg super.

Ralph