In a message dated 3/31/2002 9:13:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Our oldest brownstone restoration is now 20 years old, and we have learned
> some interesting things from it:
>
> 1. The proper water repellent (NOT silicone/silane/siloxane, but perhaps
> aluminum stearate), can slow down the rate of deterioration.
>
> 2. Patched brownstone weathers extremely well unless the patches are very
> thin, in which case the stone is not getting much protection and continues
> to scale on  a 10-12 year cycle.
>
> 3. Patches over 1/4" remain intact after 20 years.

Now the good information comes out!

How thick can you make your patches, and does one just give up on feathering
edges, and just chop the bad stuff out to full (how full is full?) depth?
And how does the preferred repellent perform differently from the others?

Ralph