Sanusi,

I will try to dilate on some of the issues that you have observed by refering to what I heard over GRTS TV last night. It is by no means authoritative.

Firstly, according to the announcement, the Supreme court had ruled that failure of the legislature to come up with an ammendment of the Local authority/elections Act should not prevent the IEC from holding the long overdue local government elections. They ruled that the IEC should go ahead with these elections based on prevailing lesgislations.

Secondly, The IEC says that for these elections, no voter transfers would be allowed.

Based on the above, it can be assumed that until such time that the legislature makes any ammendments to the local authority Acts, things would be as they were the last time round. There are speculations that the decision of the IEC to go ahead with the elections despite the feet dragging by the National Assembly could be the catalyst needed to force the NAMs to put their house in order. I hope this helps explain some of the issues that you've raised.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~