Mr. M.B. Krubally wrote:

"Lately, it seems some of us endlessly search the web for negative related news to forward or use as evidence on this list against President Jammeh. The fact remains that Jammeh too shall go some day, but time will tell that it is foolish to fight against our own nation just because we are of different political affiliation. It should be the goal and responsibility of every Gambian to generate international recognition for our nation. However to jubilate when we think others shun our government is destructive and unpatriotic. In addition, we should all be worried when other countries or governments shun us, because the citizens will be the ones directly affected. Through examples of nations such as Cuba, Iraq, Iran and many others, we should know by now that sanction and political isolations only affects the masses and not the regime it was intended for. Therefore, we should be careful of what we wish for ourselves. For our negative attitudes towards our nation might hunt us for years to come. Just an observation."

Thank you Mr. Krubally for putting the whole issue in its proper perspective.

Unfortunately Mr. Krubally, this nation is already a Pariah state and is already isolated.This pariah nation run by a visionless regime with inept and incompetent civil servants that is making our people poorer has nothing going for it. All its citizens are unconscious and do not know what is best for them. That is also a reason why the country is indeed being snubbed.

Last year there were no less than four international gatherings in the country. There was the world conference of mayors; there was the conference of the International Maritime Organization (IMO); there was the conference of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and more recently, in November, the CILLS conference held at the Palm Grove Hotel. Oh yes, this country is really being snubbed.

During that conference our uncaring government that is pilfering our collapsed economy that is making our people poorer while they lead flamboyant lifestyles, disclosed the following information, through the central bank, about some of the efforts being made to alleviate poverty in our midst. According to the central bank, the following funds were made available to various village groups and individuals to help them cope with the difficult times.

RFCIP

Refinancing/Credit Delivery: Over D3 million to NBFIs to manage lines of credit for the years 2000/01.

Beneficiaries: 28 VISACAS and 25,000 individuals.

Technical Support: Over D10 million to support systems, equipment, capacity building and backstopping services.

SDF

Refinancing/Credit Delivery: Over D3.5 million loans disbursed across the six regions of the country with 96 % repayment rate.

Beneficiaries: 128 groups and 7,465 individuals, 73 % of whom are women.

Technical Support: Significantly supported capacity building of MFIs and CBOs.

FASE

Beneficiaries: 9,010 participants for SMEs and CBOs.

Technical Support: Developing training manuals for SMEs and conducted 537 training sessions and provided technical and financial support in strengthening community response to poverty.

GAWFA

Refinancing/Credit Delivery: D23 million credit disbursed from 1992 to 2001. D4.3 million savings mobilized from 1994 - 2001.

Beneficiaries: 2,500 women groups in more than 300 villages, 42,000 individuals with 23,600 individuals accessing D11.5 million in 2001 alone.

NACCUG

Refinancing/Credit Delivery: D24 million disbursed as credit to members and D4.2 million savings mobilized at end June 2001.

Beneficiaries: Membership at 12,560 in June 2001 of whom 5,715 are women and 6,845 are men.

VISACAS

Refinancing/Credit Delivery: D2.8 million disbursed as credit and D4.2 million mobilized as savings at end June 2001.

In a separate development, last week the SOS for health, Dr. Yankuba Gassama, commissioned a D2 million community initiated Hospital in Old Jeshwang. This Hospital brings to three the number of fully operational Hospitals since this inept government, without wherewithal to take us forward, stole power from our wonderful PPP regime. A fourth (the Bwiam Hospital) is nearing completion and the foundation stone for a fifth, the D42 million Sere Kunda Hospital has been laid.

Recognizing the fact that home delivery is the norm in many parts of the country, 60 traditional birth attendants are undergoing six weeks of training in maternal health delivery procedures to enhance their skills.

Last week witnessed the second matriculation ceremony of the University of The Gambia with the enrollment of over three hundred students, most of them under full government sponsorship!

This weekend, we would be staging the women's excellence award to recognize those women who have excelled in various endevours. Can you believe that the tickets are being sold for as much as D500.00 and the Jama hall of Kairaba hotel would be packed full? Anyway that id to be expected, when you have Alioue Mbye Nderr supported by our various local bands. The next day, he will again perform at Jokor nightclub and tickets are D100.00 and sure enough, it would also be full to capacity. What a poor and miserable nation this is!

Finally, for those who have not been around of late, this is just to inform you that Gambia can now boast of over two dozen professional and amateur bands thrilling the nation. And guess what; most of the credit should go to this visionless government that gave us our first ever TV station in 1995, our tallent young artists, their promotion by GRTS, support of the private sector and our determination to forge ahead regardless of anything.

Have a good day, Gassa.

PS: Sanusi, I hope you and Madam have been to Calabash and Jokor nightclubs. They are so greaaaatttt!

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-