Email This Page

Print This Page

By Pa Malick Faye

Following her nomination as member of the National Assembly, Mrs Nyimasata Sanneh Bojang, the first elected woman member of parliament in the First Republic has said she felt greatly honoured by the president in giving her the opportunity to serve in the Assembly in the second Republic.

Speaking to the Daily Observer , Mrs Nyimasata Sanneh Bojang said her nomination was significant because of the experience she had and that she was not going to confine herself of issues affecting women only, "but on issues of overall benefit to The Gambia. So I am not going to see myself as a representative of the women folk but of The Gambian populace" she pointed out.

Make calls to Gambia

She said that they (the women) in the Assembly are not going to be gender bias because all along she had always underscored the need for partnership with the men.

"Therefore in as much as we're going to portray the image of The Gambian women or foster promotion, we are not only going to focus our attention on the women. We are going to make sure that we serve the interest of all Gambians," Mrs Bojang said.

She described the formal assumption of office by deputies on wednesday as interesting " because it was as simple as expected".

"I am sure you in the press are referring to this because of Halifa's observation. I would like to remind Gambians that the Assembly is not a forum to show to the people that you can deter the process of the Assembly by trying to be stubborn. We don;t want learned people in the House to show off themselves but we would accommodate genuine criticisms, effective participation, sincere and honest interventions but not interventions and observations that would just bore people. Such would not be accepted in the Assembly," Mrs Bojang remarked.

Hon. Sanneh Bojang assured Gambians that the Assembly composed of people regardless of party affiliation and would concentrate on the interest of the people. She said they would be focusing on issues that would at "least salvage the country as the executive is doing all it could to that effect and needed the support of the legislature".