FROM THE MIMBAR OF HOLY HARAM IN MAKKAH AND MADINA
(Friday, October 12, 2001)
Muslims must be bold in spreading Islam;
media must help build just, peaceful society.
The Imams and Khateebs of the two Holy Mosques in Makkah and Madina called on Muslims to be pious and seek God’s favors through good deeds and to refrain from causing hurt to Muslims by either words or deeds.
Sheikh Saud A1-Sherain, Imam and Khateeb of the Grand Mosque in Mak­kah, in his Friday sermon this week, called on Muslims to guard their words at times of strife, and said the Islamic religion is based on just Divine Shari’ah (law) for the world to follow and Allah Almighty has sent Messengers to all people in order that they shall join God’s religion which is Islam. Islamic Shari’ah is founded on total submission and worship of God Almighty without taking any associates with Him. The best guidance a person follows is the guidance of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam).
He said Muslims have an obligation to call on all to the Divine faith which is the source of pride and power. They should talk about it openly without fear or shame as God has wanted it to be, in that it is God alone who is to be wor­shiped and His Prophet is to be fol­lowed. The call to Islam is a just cause, but people may fail to convey the mes­sage of Islam in the right way by for­saking its principles and rules.
Sheikh Sherain said Prophet Mu­hammad (pbuh) through his Sunnah has recommended to Muslims every­thing that is good and has warned them against everything that is evil, and the evils he warned them against are sedi­tion and strife.
He said many of the turmoils of present times are due to sedition which leads to wars. Once wars take place they are difficult to stop, and agita­tions, disorder and rumors only make things worse.
In Madina, the Imam and Khateeb of the Prophet’s Mosque, Sheikh Hassan Bin Abdul Aziz Aal Al-Sheikh, in his Friday Sermon said that the greatest blessing and favor of God to mankind has been the sending of Prophet Mu­hammad (Sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) with a pure creed that realizes good and prevents evil as it embodies the pillars of justice, brother­hood, freedom, equality and peace. Its moral precepts purify the soul and nur­ture the inner-self for the noblest of trials and the highest of ideals.
Al-Sheikh said the impact of faith and the product of correct creed are Undeplatable sources of energy that sup­ply man with power, patience, perseverance, tranquility and hope that sustain him in the battle of life.
The winds of evil and spectre of destructive wars threatening mankind today are due to the world’s abandonment of the Divine Creed. Prophet Muhammad’s (Sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) approach, and the principles of justice, freedom, equality and rational behavior. he said noting that there is no way out for the Muslim Ummah from this predicament except returning to God and adhering to the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) in all maters.
The Islamic mass media must understand their true and noble mission which is to build, not to destroy, to aim high above trivia and at directing the Ummah to the goals set by their religious, work for the unity of the Muslims, and serve their causes with sincerity, he said.
THE HOLY QURAN:SURAH AL-IMRAN(3)VERSES:120-129:
120. If aught that is good befalls you, it grieves them; but if some misfortune overtakes you, they rejoice at it. But if ye are constant and do right, not the least harm will their cunning do to you; for Allah Compasseth round about all that they do.
121. Remember that morning Thou didst leave Thy household (early) to post the faithful at their stations for battle: And Allah heareth and knoweth all things:
122. Remember two of your parties Meditated cowardice; but Allah was their protector, and in Allah should the faithful (Ever) put their trust.
123. Allah had helped you at Badr, when ye were a contemptible little force; then fear Allah. thus May ye show your gratitude.
124. Remember thou saidst to the Faithful: "Is it not enough for you that Allah should help you with three thousand angels (Specially) sent down?
125. "Yea, - if ye remain firm, and act aright, even if the enemy should rush here on you in hot haste, your Lord would help you with five thousand angels Making a terrific onslaught.
126. Allah made it but a message of hope for you, and an assurance to your hearts: (in any case) there is no help except from Allah. The Exalted, the Wise:
127. That He might cut off a fringe of the Unbelievers or expose them to infamy, and they should then be turned back, frustrated of their purpose.
128. Not for thee, (but for Allah., is the decision: Whether He turn in mercy to them, or punish them; for they are indeed wrong-doers.
129. To Allah belongeth all that is in the heavens and on earth. He forgiveth whom He pleaseth and punisheth whom He pleaseth; but Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
HADITH:
Volume 8, Book 76, Number 498:
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas(RA):
1.The Prophet(pbuh) narrating about his Lord said, "Allah ordered (the appointed angels over you) that the good and the bad deeds be written, and He then showed (the way) how (to write). If somebody intends to do a good deed and he does not do it, then Allah will write for him a full good deed (in his account with Him); and if he intends to do a good deed and actually did it, then Allah will write for him (in his account) with Him (its reward equal) from ten to seven hundred times to many more times: and if somebody intended to do a bad deed and he does not do it, then Allah will write a full good deed (in his account) with Him, and if he intended to do it (a bad deed) and actually did it, then Allah will write one bad deed (in his account) ."
2.Volume 4, Book 54, Number 446:
Narrated Abu Huraira(RA):
The Prophet(pbuh) said, "Angels keep on descending from and ascending to the Heaven in turn, some at night and some by daytime, and all of them assemble together at the time of the Fajr and 'Asr prayers. Then those who have stayed with you over-night, ascent unto Allah Who asks them, and He knows the answer better than they, "How have you left My slaves?" They reply, "We have left them praying as we found them praying." If anyone of you says "Amin" (during the Prayer at the end of the recitation of Surat-al-Faitiha), and the angels in Heaven say the same, and the two sayings coincide, all his past sins will be forgiven."
See also surah 6 verse 61.
3.Volume 4, Book 52, Number 191:
Narrated Abdullah bin Abbas(RA):
Allah's Apostle wrote to Caesar and invited him to Islam and sent him his letter with Dihya Al-Kalbi whom Allah's Apostle ordered to hand it over to the Governor of Busra who would forward it to Caesar. Caesar as a sign of gratitude to Allah, had walked from Hims to Ilya (i.e. Jerusalem) when Allah had granted Him victory over the Persian forces. So, when the letter of Allah's Apostle reached Caesar, he said after reading it, 'Seek for me any one of his people! (Arabs of Quraish tribe) if present here, in order to ask him about Allah's Apostle. At that time Abu Sufyan bin Harb was in Sham with some men from Quraish who had come (to Sham) as merchants during the truce that had been concluded between Allah's Apostle; and the infidels of Quraish. Abu Sufyan said, Caesar's messenger found us somewhere in Sham so he took me and my companions to Ilya and we were admitted into Ceasar's court to find him sitting in his royal court wearing a crown and surrounded by the senior dignitaries of the Byzantine. He said to his translator. 'Ask them who amongst them is a close relation to the man who claims to be a prophet." Abu Sufyan added, "I replied, 'I am the nearest relative to him.' He asked, 'What degree of relationship do you have with him?' I replied, 'He is my cousin,' and there was none of Bani Abu Manaf in the caravan except myself. Caesar said, 'Let him come nearer.' He then ordered that my companions stand behind me near my shoulder and said to his translator, 'Tell his companions that I am going to ask this man about the man who claims to be a prophet. If he tells a lie, they should contradict him immediately." Abu Sufyan added, "By Allah ! Had it not been shameful that my companions label me a liar, I would not have spoken the truth about him when he asked me. But I considered it shameful to be called a liar by my companions. So I told the truth. He then said to his translator, 'Ask him what kind of family does he belong to.' I replied, 'He belongs to a noble family amongst us.' He said, 'Have anybody else amongst you ever claimed the same before him? 'I replied, 'No.' He said, 'Had you ever blamed him for telling lies before he claimed what he claimed? ' I replied, 'No.' He said, 'Was anybody amongst his ancestors a king?' I replied, 'No.' He said, "Do the noble or the poor follow him?' I replied, 'It is the poor who follow him.' He said, 'Are they increasing or decreasing (day by day)?' I replied,' They are increasing.' He said, 'Does anybody amongst those who embrace his (the Prophet's) Religion become displeased and then discard his Religion?'. I replied, 'No. ' He said, 'Does he break his promises? I replied, 'No, but we are now at truce with him and we are afraid that he may betray us." Abu Sufyan added, "Other than the last sentence, I could not say anything against him. Caesar then asked, 'Have you ever had a war with him?' I replied, 'Yes.' He said, 'What was the outcome of your battles with him?' I replied, 'The result was unstable; sometimes he was victorious and sometimes we.' He said, 'What does he order you to do?' I said, 'He tells us to worship Allah alone, and not to worship others along with Him, and to leave all that our fore-fathers used to worship. He orders us to pray, give in charity, be chaste, keep promises and return what is entrusted to us.' When I had said that, Caesar said to his translator, 'Say to him: I ask you about his lineage and your reply was that he belonged to a noble family. In fact, all the apostles came from the noblest lineage of their nations. Then I questioned you whether anybody else amongst you had claimed such a thing, and your reply was in the negative. If the answer had been in the affirmative, I would have thought that this man was following a claim that had been said before him. When I asked you whether he was ever blamed for telling lies, your reply was in the negative, so I took it for granted that a person who did not tell a lie about (others) the people could never tell a lie about Allah. Then I asked you whether any of his ancestors was a king. Your reply was in the negative, and if it had been in the affirmative, I would have thought that this man wanted to take back his ancestral kingdom. When I asked you whether the rich or the poor people followed him, you replied that it was the poor who followed him. In fact, such are the followers of the apostles. Then I asked you whether his followers were increasing or decreasing. You replied that they were increasing. In fact, this is the result of true faith till it is complete (in all respects). I asked you whether there was anybody who, after embracing his religion, became displeased and discarded his religion; your reply was in the negative. In fact, this is the sign of true faith, for when its cheerfulness enters and mixes in the hearts completely, nobody will be displeased with it. I asked you whether he had ever broken his promise. You replied in the negative. And such are the apostles; they never break their promises. When I asked you whether you fought with him and he fought with you, you replied that he did, and that sometimes he was victorious and sometimes you. Indeed, such are the apostles; they are put to trials and the final victory is always theirs. Then I asked you what he ordered you. You replied that he ordered you to worship Allah alone and not to worship others along with Him, to leave all that your fore-fathers used to worship, to offer prayers, to speak the truth, to be chaste, to keep promises, and to return what is entrusted to you. These are really the qualities of a prophet who, I knew (from the previous Scriptures) would appear, but I did not know that he would be from amongst you. If what you say should be true, he will very soon occupy the earth under my feet, and if I knew that I would reach him definitely, I would go immediately to meet Him; and were I with him, then I would certainly wash his feet.' " Abu Sufyan added, "Caesar then asked for the letter of Allah's Apostle and it was read. Its contents were:--
"In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful (This letter is) from Muhammad, the slave of Allah, and His Apostle, to Heraculius, the Ruler of the Byzantine. Peace be upon the followers of guidance. Now then, I invite you to Islam (i.e. surrender to Allah), embrace Islam and you will be safe; embrace Islam and Allah will bestow on you a double reward. But if you reject this invitation of Islam, you shall be responsible for misguiding the peasants (i.e. your nation). O people of the Scriptures! Come to a word common to you and us and you, that we worship. None but Allah, and that we associate nothing in worship with Him; and that none of us shall take others as Lords besides Allah. Then if they turn away, say: Bear witness that we are (they who have surrendered (unto Him)..(3.64)
Abu Sufyan added, "When Heraclius had finished his speech, there was a great hue and cry caused by the Byzantine Royalties surrounding him, and there was so much noise that I did not understand what they said. So, we were turned out of the court. When I went out with my companions and we were alone, I said to them, 'Verily, Ibn Abi Kabsha's (i.e. the Prophet's) affair has gained power. This is the King of Bani Al-Asfar fearing him." Abu Sufyan added, "By Allah, I remained low and was sure that his religion would be victorious till Allah converted me to Islam, though I disliked it "
DUA(SUPPLICATION):
Laa yukallif 'allaah nafs(an) 'illaa wus haa lahaa maa kasabat wa alayhaa maa iktasabat rabbnaa laa tu'aakhiznaa 'in nasiinaa 'aw akht.a'naa rabbnaa wa laa tah.mil alaynaa 'is.r(an) ka-maa h.amaltahu alaa 'allaziina min qablinaa rabbnaa wa laa tuh.ammilnaa maa laa t.aaqah lanaa bihi wa u fu annaa wa ighfir lanaa wa irh.amnaa 'anta mawlaanaa fa uns.urnaa alaa al qawm al kaafiriin.
English :
On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray:) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith."

AL-FATIHAH.AMEEN.

Courtesy of brother Haroon Basha of Saudi Arabia for making the Khutbah available to us.

SPREAD THE MESSAGE OF ALLAH.
With the very best of good wishes.
Musa Amadu Pembo,
Glasgow