In a message dated 9/28/01 8:34:47 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

"Even now the air we breathe is thick with the dust of our martyrs.
Do men and women know that they breathe it still?"

     - prayerbook at yesterday's Yom Kippur afternoon service
        ("Gates of Repentance", published in 1978 by the Central
        Conference of American Rabbis, p. 435.)

Larry,

Very moving statement. I can only imagine what you thought yesterday. I thank you for sharing this.

Is the context here anything to do with the creation of humanity from mud? I'm curious.

Today one of the newspapers, I'm told second hand, is claiming that the Mafia is suspected of a conspiracy to divert truckloads of the building debris from the GZ site with the idea that they will capitalize on repackaging and selling the pieces as souvenirs.

I've also heard of people collecting the dust.

Today I was shown some very high-resolution satellite photographs of the morning before the attack, and several days following. The extent of the destruction, 16 acres, becomes more apparent, and of a larger scope, than I had originally imagined. What is shown on television, as terrible as it appears, is a small portion.

Thanks,
][<en