<>I have been wanting to ask this question for a while now, I was reading an
article about a man with Cerebral Palsy. He was born with CP but had the
ability to communicate, use his hands and walk until he was 16, when he lost
the abilities and now he is a vegetable. I'm wondering how this could have
happened because I have always been told that Cerebral Palsy doesn't get
worse than what it is at first
I think it's important to remeber that not everyone's CP is the same as what you experience. It differs in what caused it ( in Alex's case extreme prematurity and cardiac arrest and lung hemorrhage for 30 min when he was 3 weeks old and just reaching the 2# mark) as well as the severity( he is moderate spastic quad) I can think of many ways Alex could get worse. He has severe reflux that required reflux surgery and a gtube for almost 3 years. With swallowing problems he could gag, choke and aspirate food into his lungs,get pneumonia which may lower his 02 thus causing more brain damage and an increase in severity of CP.

With unstable balance he can fall and hit his head and suffer a closed head injury.CP and TBI are pretty much the same thing, just differing in at what age the event takes place. He could suffered uncontrollable seizures.Respiratory status can also be an iffy proposition as well as scoliosis. Just some thoughts to ponder

Joanne