I wonder if the PTSD with the acquired disabilities is because there is a dramatic change in self image ( to say nothing of attitude prior to acquiring the disability...you know the " I could never live like that" way of thinking) where as with congenital disability your sense of self has never been really challenged because you've never known any different way.
Joanne
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bobby G. Greer, Ph. D.
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 12:26 PM
  Subject: Re: Sensory Integration Problems

  Kyle,

      There was an interesting research article of PTSD and physical disability
  in the last issue of Rehab. Counseling Bulletin. However, they utilized a VA
  sample and did not include any cases of congenital physical disability. They
  did, however, find that about one third of the PWD's experience "significant"
  elements of PTSD.

  Bobby