Thanks to all the organizers of the ALD Conference for a job well done.  You created the atmosphere for a fruitful discussion and all the parties except the UDP showed up.  Many questions have been raised and among them: why the AFPRC was invited? How the conference was set-up for failure; That it was a two-man show, etc., etc.  Well, it's always easy to sit up high and analyze what should and could have, rather than look at oneself as part of the problem.  In my opinion the questions should be, of the hundreds that converged in the nation's capital, how many attended the Conference?  Of those who attended, how many where there at the stroke of 12:00 noon, the agreed upon starting time (room was reserved for 5 hours - 12:noon to 5pm and that was more than enough)?  How many attended the parties and barbeque, but not the conference?  How may of us on the L who reside in the US attended?  These are the real questions we should answer in my opinion if we are truly honest about our conviction to liberate ourselves as a people.  Remember the Wolof proverb, in situations like the aftermath of the ALD gathering, whenever you point a finger to some party as the blamed, four of your very own fingers point to you as an accomplice.

We asked the parties to come and discuss with us their intension for seeking to lead us and they came.  They spent their meager resources to come and hear from us, and what did we do in return?  We (not the organizers, but we the audience) were three hours late at best, and less than a 100 people in attendance.  For those who reside in the US and did not attend, I respect your reasons for not attending, however, I equally do not expect criticisms, negative or positive from your corner, if you do not want to address your part of the problem - 100 people attending.  We all want our situation in the Gambia to change for the better, but us not attending important meetings that would help us attain that goal is a big setback.  Frankly, some of us are beginning to sound like a broken record.  This "arm chair philosophizing" need to stop if we want the change we are seeking.  Folks, this job could only be done by getting up and tying our boot straps.  When we sit and talk and talk and do nothing, we accomplish nothing.  If we are just here to act as a "foreman", just to tell the laborers what to do and how lazy they are, then I suggest we hold our peace and leave the laborers do their job, for at best we are a nuisance and a distraction, qualities that does not help them in their plight.  If we cannot pat the doers (organizers) on their backs, we need to just continue sitting back and do what we do best - observe.

Thanks  to the opposition parties that attended, we owe you guys big time.  Keep fighting and stay focused on the prize.  To the organizers, keep your heads high and be proud, for you brought the horse to the water but cannot force it to drink.  So, stand tall and be proud.  To all those who attended (better late than never), thanks for forgoing your other commitments to attend to the national interest.  For those of us that did not attend for whatever reason, we respect your reasons and hope that next time you'll be first to attend.  However, if you want to address what went down, please be honest and address yourself first.  It is only by doing that, that people can take you seriously.  My statements are not meant for anyone in particular, but like Bob said "who the cap fits.........".

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou