I've been forced to totally re-think my automobile philosophy!  New vehicle = good chance of being stolen.  Used car = good chance of breaking down at the most convenient of times.  The real lesson I learned is to get renter's insurance!  Car insurance doesn't cover valuables left in stolen cars, and I had some real valuables in there.  I can't wait to move back out of the city.