“July 4th. Gambian Community Reunion”

A Historical Perspective:

The Reunion of Gambians in Atlanta has become a very large event, in the 90’s, and lately at the turn of the Century. In the late 70’s and 80’s, it was an event that brought us together in small numbers, from various parts of the USA. Nearly 90% of all participants were students and only a few where professionals.

The hosts (Atlanta Residents), made sure everyone coming from outside, was allocated food and shelter. The guest’s had no little or no expenses to incur. It was a peaceful atmosphere. Brothers and Sisters socialized, had symposiums and address issues dealing with the community. Clearly, “July 4th. Reunion” was never an issue but an event. Most elders here, who some now have children and grand children, can testify to this spirit of Brotherhood and Sisterhood, Friendship and kinship.

Now times have changed. The communities coming in and out of Atlanta has grown tremendously. Therefore changes in various programs need to be addressed. The events last year show clearly that there need to be a better organization to address these issues and most importantly, our community issues. There is no need for divisiveness or disputes about a reunion that belongs to the people.

The UGOA United Gambian Organization of Atlanta, at the juncture, has formed an interim committee (temporally), to help bring peace and understanding amongst the Gambian community. It would be effective working with any group(s) to help promote a peaceful reunion.

UGOA re-iterates that the Community, “Mbolo”, “Kaffo”, issues and interests, supercedes the individual interest. In other words, the interest of an individual or individuals, or group, is secondary to the Community “Mbolo”, “Kaffo”, come before the individual and all the benefits, be it monetary or otherwise, belongs to everyone, and not a selected few.

The UGOA is willing working with all groups to help us build a viable community organization. An organizations whose mission is not only to socialize, party, feel good and then disperse once and for all only to congregate next year. Its mission is to ensure that any benefit belongs to the community, and must be utilized for programs and not limited to:

1). Assistance is case of accidental or natural bereavement,

2). Comminity City

3). Child /Daycare center

 4). Community Education, etc.

Our long-term goals must include, free tutoring in computer literacy, adult education, and child developments. These goals are not easy to accomplish but only a genuine organization can work to make it a reality, for all to benefit. For the sake of unity, let us work together for the benefit or the community, rather than personal interests and agendas.  The July 4th. Community reunion is an event we as a community need and should be more focus on our long-term goals, rather than the yearly temporary events. With unity and determination, we can create a viable organization for the community as a whole.

Sainey Faye

(Interim Secretary)

UGOA