>>It does have the distinct advantage of being native to the Mediteranian
area.

and very tasty to eat in its raw state.
The weight of gold was evaluated in the past in number of carob seeds from
which carat comes from ( the weight of carob seeds are so reliably equal )
There is a controversy about St john the baptist . was he eating carob or
grasshopper ( locust)?

>As for amount of processing, I was thinking of (and should have said) the
>form in which it's most commonly used in recipes, which is at least roasted
>and ground...

No need to process ,it is just tasty as it is . just spit out the seeds.

jean-claude